This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug wire channel?

I'm redoing my spark plug wires on my 50 Champion and was wondering if the channel that the wires goes through comes apart. I had to cut the end off of the plug wires in order to pull them out and since the new cables are not terminated yet I can push them through before I terminate them. I just think that the channel should seperate to make it easier to install new plugs and wires.

I've looked at the channel and it looks like a top and bottom half, but I can't get it apart. Any experience with this?

Thank you,
    John

1950 Studebaker Champion 2dr sedan.

The wire channel does not come apart. you must put wire in channel then install wire end. Champ[8D]

Comment

What he said!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yeah it doesnt come apart and its a pain. Also make sure that the wires you get are 7mm or smaller or you wont have enough room for all the wires to fit in the channel. I know this from experience as i bought some 8mm and i have one wire that doesnt fit in.

Crazyred

Comment

OK, for what it is worth, this is my experience with my '54 Champion, which has the same (at least it looks the same, I didn't check p/n's) channel.

I bought one of Brian Scott's wire sets, and the distributor boots came loose. The crimp ends were already installed of course. There was no problem in putting the wires through the channel, I used a length of 14 gage plastic coated wire, electrical taped to the crimp end on the sparkplug wire, and used this to pull the sparkplug wire thru the channel. Install the boot, and you're ready for the next wire.On the very last wire, I had a problem fishing the 14 gage wire thru the channel so I could tape it to the last sparkplug wire.....so I used a piece of stiff solid core wire instead.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I just did that on my 1950 champion. I bought a modern wire set with big boots on the ends, all ready to go. It took a while to coax all of the wires through the loom, but I just lubed them up good with some dishwashing liquid soap and crammed them through, pushing through the smaller boots which go to the dist. cap. After getting it all in there, I rinsed and dried it. But if you're going to put the correct terminals on, put 'em on after you get the wires pushed through and cut to length.

Comment

Thanks guys!!
              I painted the channel with Por-15 first, it looks like new! Then it was pretty easy to feed the uncrimped terminals through. I like the channel I think it looks cool, I just think a better design would have the top half pop off.

John

1950 Studebaker Champion 2dr sedan.

Comment

Working...
              X