Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

4 barrel swap problems

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4 barrel swap problems

    i am in the middle of swapping my stromberg 2 barrel to a edelbrock 4 barrel. i had an electric pump set up but i have no idea how much psi it pumps. when i tried turning it over it fludded my engine really fast. to where it wouldnt't even crank over. so i pumped out the cylinders and hooked up a mechanical pump and it doesn't seem to get enough fuel now. i haven't got my engine to start at all since the swap and now it think i might not be getting enough spark either. ewven with starter fluid it doesn't even sputter. the whole reason i changed it was because at low rpm's my car could barely idle, after hours of rebuilding the carb and trying to tune it in, no joy, so i swapped to the 4 barrel. is this electrical all along?

    slow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

  • #2
    Benny, it sounds like you didn't have the float levels set right at all and the fuel pump just filled everything with gas because the jets wouldn't close when the bowls filled up. Now that you have flooded the cylinders the spark plugs are wet and can't fire. You will have to take them out and dry them off very well. You can try compressed air but I have used a propane torch to burn the tips dry again (do it outside the garage if you have a lot of fuel spilled around the engine). While the plugs are out crank the engine a few revolutions to blow out the wet gas in the cylinders. Once the carb is corrected and the dry (or New) spark plugs are back in it the engine should try to fire up. Stude8

    Comment


    • #3
      i did turn the engine over by hand with all the plugs out but didn't torch the plugs. i set the float level to specs after it flooded bad. i am going to change those plugs though, they looked pretty nasty. but now with the mechanical pump it seems starved for fuel. maybe once it fires up it will get the flow going, i lost a bit of fuel swapping pumps, and might have got too much air in the lines. thanks for the tips.


      slow64
      1964 lark daytona
      bd_marks@yahoo.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Benny,
        Turn the key on (to start the electric fuel pump) and rap the top of the carb with a screwdriver handle a few times. Probably a stuck float needle.
        Betcha....Just betcha...
        Jeff[8D]




        quote:Originally posted by benny_64

        i did turn the engine over by hand with all the plugs out but didn't torch the plugs. i set the float level to specs after it flooded bad. i am going to change those plugs though, they looked pretty nasty. but now with the mechanical pump it seems starved for fuel. maybe once it fires up it will get the flow going, i lost a bit of fuel swapping pumps, and might have got too much air in the lines. thanks for the tips

        slow64
        1964 lark daytona
        bd_marks@yahoo.com
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

        Jeff


        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

        Comment


        • #5
          Might be too much pressure from the electric pump. ( you need to keep it under 5 PSI and some electrics deliver twice that.

          Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 GT Hawk
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          53 Street rod
          JDP Maryland

          Comment


          • #6
            Good point...
            Try running the pump for 10 seconds and unplugging it.
            If the engine starts and runs ok, then the pump is the problem.
            It should run a minute or so on just what is in the carb bowl, without the fuel pump running.
            Jeff[8D]


            quote:Originally posted by JDP

            Might be too much pressure from the electric pump. ( you need to keep it under 5 PSI and some electrics deliver twice that.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

            Jeff


            Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



            Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Is this one of the NEW Edelbrocks or a used one[?] I'm inclined to agree that you may have had TOO much fuel pressure. But one tiny, little piece of trash can hang open the needle-seat assy on a carb and even tho you've got correct pressure and the floats set to spec, that baby's gonna flood big time![xx(]
              Do you HAVE in-line fuel filter(s)in place? Best place for one is ahead of the fuel pump.

              BTW, if you pumped enough to have raw gas in the cylinders, you'd better check the condition of your oil.[}] I would anyway.



              Miscreant at large.

              1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

              Comment


              • #8
                You might also try a fuel pressure regulator with your electric pump. They don't cost much and you can set the pressure to about 3 1/2 PSI, which is almost ideal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you look at the Edelbrock information I believe the proper pressure is about 5 or 5-1/2 psi. Much less and the high speed (like passing on the freeway) fuel delivery will suffer.

                  And yes most pumps will push more thAn 5 psi on 6 volts! So a requlator and outside gauge is almost manditory.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i have an inline filter, i definatly did check my oil and it was good. i don't have a pressure regulator though and i think thats my problem. as soon as i turn the key it dumps like a hose into my intake. i cleaned out the carb real good, i don't think its a sticky seat. thanks for the help.

                    slow64
                    1964 lark daytona
                    bd_marks@yahoo.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Whacker (again[)]) 3&1/2 is ideal.

                      Miscreant at large.

                      1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        is high pressure alone enough to make fuel spray in like that or is it more likely a combination of other things?

                        slow64
                        1964 lark daytona
                        bd_marks@yahoo.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A electric pump could fill the oil pan with gas in a few minutes.

                          Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                          64 GT Hawk
                          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                          53 Street rod
                          JDP Maryland

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also I believe that you can get an "off road" needle and seat that is lightly spring loaded; I second the recommend for a FPR but that might help some too if you have the problem remaining after adding the FPR.

                            nate

                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If it ends up being an AFB problem.....One of the best things you can do to/for a used AFB is to read up on all the peculiarities of the animal....
                              Here is an excellent source of info....
                              (Warning: It is a big PDF file ...40 pages or so)....
                              But it is a great tuning and service guide.
                              Jeff[8D]


                              http://www.arnolt.com/articles/carterafbtuning.pdf





                              quote:Originally posted by benny_64

                              i am in the middle of swapping my stromberg 2 barrel to a edelbrock 4 barrel. i had an electric pump set up but i have no idea how much psi it pumps. when i tried turning it over it fludded my engine really fast. to where it wouldnt't even crank over. so i pumped out the cylinders and hooked up a mechanical pump and it doesn't seem to get enough fuel now. i haven't got my engine to start at all since the swap and now it think i might not be getting enough spark either. ewven with starter fluid it doesn't even sputter. the whole reason i changed it was because at low rpm's my car could barely idle, after hours of rebuilding the carb and trying to tune it in, no joy, so i swapped to the 4 barrel. is this electrical all along?

                              slow64
                              1964 lark daytona
                              bd_marks@yahoo.com
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

                              Jeff


                              Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



                              Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X