This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic no reverse

Another question from a new to the Stude World Stude owner. My last problem was quickly fixed with all of your help. Now new problem with my 61 Lark VI inline 6 with a automatic no reverse. Forward gears work great shift great but when you put it in reverse it acts like it is two gears at onced or locked up. The trany fluid looks good not burnt or discolored or smelly. The car had sat for about twenty years before I brought it back to life, would the long sleep have any thing to do with my problem.

Thanks Tony

61 Lark
    61 Lark Cruser VIII

Since the car sat so long, this is quite likely sticking valve(s) in the transmission valve body. Remove, disassemble, and clean the valve body. Not knowing your capabilities, I'll say you might want a transmission shop to look at this.

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have done a few three and four speed manual boxes before but never a auto. Is there any de stick stuff you can add to the fluid that might set it free.

61 Lark
      61 Lark Cruser VIII

Comment

It's possible that the problem is as simple as loose or misadjusted shift linkage causing the manual valve to be positioned somewhere between low and reverse when you think you have shifted into reverse. A valve body problem came to mind first when you said the car had sat for a number of years. I don't know of any chemical cleaner that would be likely to work. You might want to write to Co-Operator transmission advisor John Metzker.

Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
        X