This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot rodding the skybolt

I was wondering if anybody has tried to make or run a dual carb intake and/or split exhaust for the overhead valve 6? is this worth attempting?thanks in advance,JRK

JRK,

I have seen six cylinder exhaust manifolds modified by adding a second exhaust outlet. If you know someone who can weld to cast iron, this can be done.

I have not seen a dual carb OHV six intake manifold. There are dual carb manifolds made for the Champ flathead six, but they will not interchange. If anyone knows of an available dual carb intake for the OHV six, I would be interested too!<G>

Calvin Lowell (sp?) (OldCarFart Auto Parts) was making a kit to adapt a 2-bbl carb to the flathead six, and it may work on the '62 OHV six. I would guess hood clearance would be a question.

From my experiences with the OHV sixes, I would think that freeing up the exhuast side and adding some more carburation would make a noticeable improvement. I have added a Pertronix Ignitor (replaces the points) to mine, and would recommend that modification. I got mine from Ted Harbit, who has sold his parts business to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker (www.fairbornstudebaker.com).

These engines had some problems with cracks when abused, so if you do modify it, keep the temperature reasonable, don't let it lean out, and don't lug it.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62beater

I was wondering if anybody has tried to make or run a dual carb intake and/or split exhaust for the overhead valve 6? is this worth attempting?thanks in advance,JRK
      You need to contact "Digger Dave" (Dave Molnar). He has done some of the most professional work I have seen. He had a six set up at SB a couple years ago with dual carbs, headers, etc. and looked like factory work. His email is diggerdavem@zeronet.com

Ted

Comment

Working...
      X