This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan setup for Avanti

Is there an electric fan setup for an avanti? Mine is destroyed and I just as soon not go back with the stock setup. I had a major water pump failure last night.

63 R2 Avanti

I've got a Flexalite Black Majic #150 With 2800 CFM [the most CFM I could find for a fan of its size] I'm planning to install on my 53 Starliner. Darryl

Darryl C. Lewallen
    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I'll look at the black majic. I think a 16" should fit and I thought I would run it to the switch. It would run all the time but I've heard bad stories about those that were run through a relay. It should be able to handle running all the time, I think.

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

There are some advantages, and disadvantages to an electric fan.
        One advantage is that it will make the engine 'feel' a bit smoother.
        Another advantage is it will free up a little horsepower, but it isn't free and it isn't much, because..........
        The disadvantage is you will tax your electrical system with the additional load from the fan. That can be quite a few amps, so the fan should always be wired in with a relay, and an override manual switch. You should wire it so it is automatic in operation without you having to remember anything.
        Hope the info helps...
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by charley norton

Is there an electric fan setup for an avanti? Mine is destroyed and I just as soon not go back with the stock setup. I had a major water pump failure last night.
        63 R2 Avanti
        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks again, Jeff. I like the idea of the override switch. I've heard the relay switches could be problematic. How would you suggest I do the relay. Is there a particular setup you know of that I should use?
          Charley

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Here's the link for what I did on my truck...

There's a schematic of the dual fan relay and override switch there too. I have a temp switch that turns on the fan at 180 degree's, and there's a wire from the a/c clutch coil that turns the fan on when the a/c gets turned on. Then there is the manual override switch wired into the relay to manually turn the fan on (parades, construction zones, rush hour traffic, etc.
            Relays are not tempermental at all, and actually make the system safer. Granted, these are modern relays, and not the old one's like Stude (and others) used. You are MUCH better off to have that fan on a relay. I help at least two or three boiling cars every year that have popped circuit breakers, blown fuses, or burned out switches becaue the load on their system was too much for a toggle switch to handle.
            I really like the electric fan, because it works well when the vehicle is standing still and idling, and gives me a bonus of a post shutdown cool off period. My only suggestion, besides getting BIG cfm, is to make sure you get a curved blade fan. Mine is high cfm, but straight bladed. It does make quite a bit of noise. Not a nasty noise, but it is noticeable.
            Jeff[8D
            ]

quote:Originally posted by charley norton

Thanks again, Jeff. I like the idea of the override switch. I've heard the relay switches could be problematic. How would you suggest I do the relay. Is there a particular setup you know of that I should use?
            Charley
            63 R2 Avanti

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I found the schematic, printed it out. I can't tell you how much time it will save me, thanks
              Charley
              PS I ordered a curved blade fan, 2700 cfm. Its a zirgo brand name. I'll order a relay kit tonight

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

By the way was the failed water pump an Avanti type or a standard type? I used to see a lot of broken water pumps on R2 Avanti's when people used a standard water pump. Did the pump shaft fail where there was a ball bearing groove or somewhere else?

David L
                David L

Comment

It was an Avanti type. It had the two gussets on either side. The shaft had a place in it where there was a small groove near where the bearings are, it broke there.

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

There are several types of bearings that are used with water pumps. The better bearings use a needle roller on the out end. With that configuration you don't end up with the stress riser created by the groove for the ball.

You should never have a problem with a non supercharged Avanti but quite a few R2s have had this problem.

David L
                    David L

Comment

Mine was like you said. It had both ball and needle bearings. Some of the needle bearings, as small as they already were, were literally broke in half. All the bearings were as dry as a bone and rusty. The car sat for many years, so I guess this is what happens. I think it was going bad all along. It always had a roar in the engine from the beginning. The pump fan didn't feel loose when I tried to wiggle the fan back then so I never thought I had a problem. I've never heard an Avanti engine before, so I figured it was normal. I was wrong. I would definately recommend to anyone who gets a studebaker with this type water pump that has sat for a long time to change the water pump before they do anything other than making sure it runs.Thanks for the input. I need all the help and support I can get. If anything but to keep me from kicking a hole in the side![:0]

63 R2 Avanti

Comment

Working...
                      X