This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner disc brakes on a truck

This question is primarily directed to Mr. Biggs, as I see his truck pictured on the Turner Brake website http://www.turnerbrake.com/truckkits.html (but anyone else can answer, of course).

The text of the Truck Kit page emphasizes using GM rotors with a 5 lug X 5 inch bolt pattern. Does this mean I should not go out and buy the #40273 Ranger steel wheels (5 X 4.5 like the Studebaker wheels) prior to getting the Turner Brake kit? It appears that his kit for cars does offer the use of Ford rotors (5 x 4.5) but not the truck kit. What rotors did you use on your truck? And, if I do a front kit with 5 x 5, now my front wheels will not be able to fit on the back, and vice versa. I'll have to carry two spares!

Am I missing something here? Please tell me I am.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

I think you are missing the fact that your truck does not now use the 4 1/2 inch bolt circle like the cars do. (I think)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks, JDP. I'll measure when I get home, and I think you're probably right (hope so, anyway). I've seen some sites that show how to get an approximation of the diameter of a 5 lug circle by measuring from the center of one lug to the far side of the second lug away from it. But here's one that claims to calculate an accurate value based on a different measurement: http://www.skulte.com/boltcircle.html . I'll post the truck bolt measurement (for the smaller trucks) when I find out.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

If your truck is a Studebaker 1/2ton with original drum brakes, the bolt pattern is 5 x 5 (5 lugs on 5" bc).

Same as 1/2ton Ch%^$y.(and old CJ5 and 7's) I used some late 80's GM van wheels which cleared the ridge thats on the original drums.(They would also work on disc brakes obviously).

Comment

Thanks, guys. I had read so much information about how Ranger wheels would fit Studebakers, it never occurred to me everyone was only talking about the cars. Also, shame on me for not pulling off the wheel covers to measure for myself until now. Yup, the studs centers are on a 5 inch diameter circle. So, I should ask the tire and wheel place for late 80's GM 5 x 5 steel wheels, and I should be alright? I'll take in a photo of my uncovered wheel to compare for closeness in appearance.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I believe the 80's GM VAN wheels have a different center section which is why they fit despite the brake drum ridge.

These numbers are on the wheels
            Hydramatic 15 x7 JJ T DOT H189 87 1B. On them I run 235x75R-15's with no problems.

If you go to the link above, you can search for "GM Van Wheels" and see a series of discussions on the subject.

Comment

Thank you, again, Transtar60. It would be great if the owner of that Truck Forum site could work something out with SDC to move the truck forum over to here, or at least convert all his data to a SnitzForum (the free software used by this SDC forum).

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Dillo - forgive me for being slow to respond here. Of course, Transtar60's answered your questions (well, so did you when you measured the lugs)
                I installed the #2 set of Turner Truck disc brakes on my Transtar in '97. It went real well even tho I was disappointed that the stock wheels wouldn't clear the calipers (actualy, the pins don't clear). I mean - Jim had told me in advance they wouldn't but I figured I might could find a way around it. The only way I could have done so was not to my liking and consequently, I decided that Buick Riviera wheels would fill the bill. Even these are a bit of a pain since they won't fit up to the Stude drums at the rear.[}] And there were/are no spacers that I could find that would make their adaptation any easier. I ended up taking stacks of fender washers and a pair of vernier calipers to establish 10 stacks of washers in adequate and accurate fashion to perform as spacers.[V] That and also having longer lug studs fitted to the drums to accomodate the spacing and still get the lug nuts on by an appropriate margin.[:I]
                At the time, no one could suggest an alternate wheel that would FIT the Stude drums and still provide clearance for the calipers at the front (BTW, no spacers were necessary at the front - the wheels fit up to the rotor and caliper just fine[^])
                I know about the GM van wheels being adequate. In fact, in skulking around local wrecking yards, I'd looked at them numerous times and considered that they might well serve with ease. However, I'd grown to like the appearance of the Riviera wheels over time and have stayed with them on that strength alone.
                I've mentioned this before - quite by chance, I stumbled upon a set of Ford wheels (Lincoln actualy) that will fit on Stude truck drums nicely. The set I have is from a '75 Lincoln town car (REAL boat!) and are stamped steel type that wore a wheelcover when new. These sit up against the truck drum nicely and are 6" wide, which is also nice. I never have tried one on the front of my Transtar but my suspicions are that it would clear the calipers with ease.
                I don't know the Ford part# for this wheel but if I had access to a 75 Linc parts book, I could find out, I'm sure. I'd further bet that this wheel had other stock applications that could be discerened if one knew the part # to investigate with.
                Before you rush out to the local wrecking yard and grab a set of '75 Lincoln Town car wheels - be advised that the optional alloy wheels that were offered that year do NOT fit our Stude trucks. Only the steel wheels work!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There is another option so you can use the ordinary 5x5 Chevy pickup wheels. Install Cehvy truck brake drums on the rear. Jerry Kaiser did such a conversion on all 4 corners of his Champ and I am sure the same would work on the '55 (since the stock brake drums are the same 49-64)

The last link is to an article on a vendors page.

Comment

Thank you again, everyone, especially Mr. Biggs and Transtar60. I'm inclined toward the Chevy truck drums/wheels, as they are easy to come by, plus the advantages mentioned by Jerry Kaiser in your two links above. Not that I would enjoy having the original hubs cut into by a lathe, but the advantages seem very appealing.

If I go that route, I will put my Studebaker drums and wheels up for sale cheap, so they are available to another Stude truck owner. That post I saw by Mr. Biggs regarding the recycling of Studebaker parts made me stop and think beyond my own parts needs. To paraphrase you, I'll repeat it here for those who haven't seen it: Don't throw away ANY Studebaker part - someone else will need it in the future.

Transtar60, do you know if the regular Chevy truck wheels will clear the calipers if I put them on front after doing a Turner Disc brake conversion?
                    1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Dillo,

I wish I didn't believe so ferverently in that creed of mine. Life would be alot easier![xx(]

Folks around these parts are callin' from time to time: "Say, I hear you're the Studebaker guy - izzat right? Well, I got this here engine and transmission that I ain't gonna use an' ...... Or, we were gonna build us one bad ass Lark with a _______ (Fill in the blank with the engine transplant of your choice) for power but then my brother-in-law divorced my sister 'n I just never got arount to doin' nuthin' with this stuff. It'd be easier for me if someone hauled off all this junk - er I could deliver it to ya if'n that's too much trouble!"
                      Welp - here comes another load! Some of it I use - some of it I sell - and some of it I give away.[^] Depends on my mood, the phase of the moon, what parts are involved and who the recipient will be![}]

That said - I'm known for being THE last hope of parts who's future is in doubt! It just feels right to save them!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Transtar60, do you know if the regular Chevy truck wheels will clear the calipers if I put them on front after doing a Turner Disc brake conversion?
                        1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        As long as they are from a Chevy pickup with disc brakes , they will.

BTW the link to your website doesnt work.

Comment

Working...
                        X