This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 COMMANDER

I would like info on getting a power steering unit for my 55 commander. At my age, it is increasingly difficult to make that beautiful beast of mine obey my commands. What are chances of having one put on.
    Rick

Sedan or C-K? Not that either one is easy to find anymore. It's a bolt on deal IF you can find the parts.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs is right. You'll want a donor from the same wheelbase model you have and,preferably, the same trans because you'll need the trans linkage. You'll need the steering column, firewall seal, steering box and hoses,box mounting bracket with bolts and spacers(note where they are located), pump, pump bracket with attachment hardware, double crank pulley with spacer, pully bolts and longer crank center bolt. You wll also needthe pitman arm and the reach rod. Bellcrank is the same.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Actualy, the sectors are the same. It's the upper section of the steering column that's different in length. And since this setup has a flex joint of sorts, it's relatively easy to swap the upper sections of the column as required. Do that and use whichever drag link is appropriate and you're in like Flynn.

Still tho - neither setup is easy to find anymore. Figure $3 to $500 complete with pump. And probably THE toughest part to find of late - is the little tri-faced bracket that mounts the pump to the cylinder head. That and the two stud bolts that affix it.[V]

Also be aware that the '57 vintage versions have different steering wheel splines than those used thru '56. The earlier steering wheels won't work on the '57 Saginaw columns but the column upper sections will interchange as required.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X