Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WANTED DG-250-M tranny ( DG200 vs. DG250M)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED DG-250-M tranny ( DG200 vs. DG250M)

Just wondering, for the Borg Warner "three bander's" if the external size of the DG200 is the same as the DG250M? i.e., same size, same bolt pattern, same torque convertor, same output shaft, same shift pattern, interchangeable, etc.??????

Also, if you have the name of someone who rebuilds these tranny's I'd like to contact the individual with some questions. Pls e-mail.

Finally, if these two tranny's are the fully interchangeable I'm interested in purchasing a good rebuildable one. Please advise via e-mail,

THANKS.[?]

John

The specific questions you ask - "YES" - all those items are the same between the 250M and the 200 or 200M.
    There are some differences between the trannys but one should bolt up and function in place of the other. The 250 (actualy, it's a DG-250M) starts out in 1st gear. The 150 the 150M, 200 & 200M start in 2nd when in the D range. The 250M was a 1955 only rendition and was used only behind President engines.
    The DG series was comprized of the DG-150 and DG-200 until 1955. In '55, there were changes that produced the DG-150M, 200M & 250M. The changes were internal so the fitup and shift pattern should be the same.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I agree with Bob/Mr.Biggs. It used to be quite common to replace the automatic in '53s with the '55 DG 250M in order to get first gear start. I don't remember it requiring anything besides a bolt in swap, but it has been 25 years since I have done that swap.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by jgw2

Also, if you have the name of someone who rebuilds these tranny's I'd like to contact the individual with some questions. Pls e-mail.

Sorry, the last guy that I knew that worked on these transmissions for Studebakers and Jaguars died this month (age 63). Since Jaguar used these transmissions later than Studebaker, you might have luck searching out someone that specializes in foreign/British/Jaguar cars. Studebaker did have a separate service manual for these transmissions, maybe that addresses your question areas.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

While jgw2 didn't mention it here, he did E-mail me that his concern was finding a DG-250 for his 54 Hudson.
          I countered that I was under the impression that Hudsons used the GM Hydra-Matic and he advised me that due to a Hydra-Matic plant fire, Hudson bought some DG-200s to use in thier cars. I might have heard this in the past, but it was news to me at this point.
          He's allowed as how he's built a Super Wasp powertrain to match that the Hudson had fielded in racing at one point and wanted the DG250 as insurance for the extra power his enhanced Hudson bears.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

IIRC, the Hydramatic plant fire was in 1953. GM went from Hydramatics to Dynaflows in their cars. That was terrible, based on my experience with a Cadillac with Dynaflow. I can see where GM had enough trouble supplying their own cars with automatics without supplying competitors. I think that Hudson was better off by going to the Borg Warner transmission.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

According to "Sam Roberts" on the General discussion Board these DG250M's were put behind all the 1955 Studebaker V8's, both the Commander and the President.

I'm still looking to PURCHASE/BUY one, so in case you know of one FOR SALE, please e-mail me with the contact info.

THANKS,

John

Comment

Just one more detail. EARLY 55 Commanders came with the DG-200

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Bob, is there a way to tell them apart by some code???

TIA

Comment

Working...
                  X