7" rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7" rims?

Will 7" rims work on a 62 Hawk. They have a 4" offset.

I will be putting a set of 7" Cragar SS wheels on my brand new (to me) 62 GT Hawk on Wednesday.
    I will let you know. (GOt them as a gift and sure hope they fit.)
    I also have the Turnner brake and MC kit that will be installed in the next couple weeks and wil let you know if they still fit afterwards.
    sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Got pics?

Comment

As long as you don't try to put larger than 205's it shouldn't be a problem. But they will be close to the fender lip.

Comment

Juist went over to the garage and put them on - its close but they fit. The tires are 205s.
          The Cragars give it a cool "old school' look.

Comment

Dallastx - almost forgot. THe Cragars that fit on my Hawk have a 4 inch or 4.25 inch offset on the 7 inch rim. They look much nicer than the tiny Stude wheels.

Comment

A 7 in. Rim is way too much spread for a P205 tire! Sidewall failure will be accelerated, not to mention a unnatural, weird rounded look to the sidewall.

And as has been said, any larger a tire is too much tire, clearance issues, premature wheel bearing wear and alignment issues are eliminated using closer to stock wheels and tires, 5 1/2 in. wide, work just perfect for a P205X75R15 or a P215X70R15. [^]

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tires look just fine - fill the wheel wells nicely. I dont care about premature wear bc the old crate will probably never do more than 500 to 1000 miles a summer. Its a weekend hot rod that my young sons love, nothing more. Its a project to teach them abbout cars and have some fun.
                Dry rot will be a concern, not wear.

Comment

7" wide MoPar cop car wheels with 3/4" offset work fine up to P245/60s but sidewall of front tire will be darn close to tie rod end, a 1/4" spacer might be advisable. You need all that backspace in the back to clear the fender. No rolling required with P245s although I did not leave them on the front, only the rear. Doubt that Cragars have that much offset, that would be about 4-3/4" backspace. If you have less backspace you will be limited to a narrower tire.

a P205 is a little on the narrow side for a 7" wheel, but a P215 or P225 should be just about right. That's the factory combo on my Porsche 944; 15x7" wheels with P215/60R15 tires. For a Stude, if they clear the fender, a P215/70 or P215/75 is probably closer to the rolling radius of an old school 6.70 or 7.10-15.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

7" wide MoPar cop car wheels with 3/4" offset work fine up to P245/60s but sidewall of front tire will be darn close to tie rod end, a 1/4" spacer might be advisable. You need all that backspace in the back to clear the fender. No rolling required with P245s although I did not leave them on the front, only the rear. Doubt that Cragars have that much offset, that would be about 4-3/4" backspace. If you have less backspace you will be limited to a narrower tire.

a P205 is a little on the narrow side for a 7" wheel, but a P215 or P225 should be just about right. That's the factory combo on my Porsche 944; 15x7" wheels with P215/60R15 tires. For a Stude, if they clear the fender, a P215/70 or P215/75 is probably closer to the rolling radius of an old school 6.70 or 7.10-15.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    Nate, could you recommend some wider wheels for my '59 Lark? The Mustang 8.8" rear is 1" wider than stock. I'm running stock Lark wheels with 205's. I'd like much wider wheels and tires to handle the greater power, but I want to still run the stock wheel covers and whitewalls. I have 2" clearance from tire to fender, 4"+ tire to spring/frame. The Mopar 7" 5 on 4 1/2 sound perfect if they'll hold a full wheel cover.

Art Rigsby

'59 Lark hardtop w/355 blown sbc, 700R4, 8.8" rear w/ 3.73 gears

Dogs are a man's best friend. Just ask my Dachshunds!

Comment

I just bought MoPar cop car wheels from Jim Pepper at SB. They're 7" width, 4" offset. The tires are:

Rear: Goodyear Eagle RS-A P225-70R15

Front: Goodyear Invicta GS 205-70R15

These were on his Lark and fit just fine with no interference anywhere. And, very tough-looking![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA
                      Ephesians 6:10-17

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I just bought MoPar cop car wheels from Jim Pepper at SB. They're 7" width, 4" offset. The tires are:

Rear: Goodyear Eagle RS-A P225-70R15

Front: Goodyear Invicta GS 205-70R15

These were on his Lark and fit just fine with no interference anywhere. And, very tough-looking![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bob, did you happen to notice if the rims had a groove that catches the grippers on the full hubcap? Where is "SB"? I'm in Tampa Bay, FL.

Comment

Oops, there's been so much discussion I thought everyone would know by now that South Bend is in Indiana. It's the home of Studebaker Corp.!

I don't remember a groove, but the black paint has scratches that sure look like they had had full covers at some point...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

15x7 chrome smoothies with 215/70R15 tires. Had to take a little off of the inside of the rear wheel well opening for tire clearance, no problems on the front (has factory disc brakes). Sorry I posted my reply about the Lark, I should have read your question more carefully. I did use the same rims & tires on a 63 Hawk (since sold) and had the same rear tire clearance problem.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
                            34 STUDEBAKER STREET ROD
                            55 SPEEDSTER (in work)
                            63 R2 LARK (in work)
                            85 AVANTI (9K miles)

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                            55 Speedster (in work)
                            63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                            64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                            64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                            85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                            89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Oops, there's been so much discussion I thought everyone would know by now that South Bend is in Indiana. It's the home of Studebaker Corp.!

I don't remember a groove, but the black paint has scratches that sure look like they had had full covers at some point...

Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Thanks Bob, I really did know South Bend was in Indiana (ha)! Is Jim Pepper a supplier for wheels? I really don't know that...........

All the best,

Art Rigsby

Comment

Working...
                              X