Brake pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pedal

What could cause the brake pedal on a Hawk not to push down? It has been sitting in a garage, then under a carport for over 15 years.
    Allen

Rust on the shaft of the brake cylinder. Rust on the bearing of the pedal, but it should have been well greased. Probably the cylinder is frozen. But it doesn't rust in Texas, does it.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The 55 coupe I bought a couple of weeks ago,
      had the same problem. Piston stuck in master
      cylinder. This is a common problem. Had it on
      a hundred or so cars.

Tex in Alabama

Comment

Al, is this the Hawk that you were trying to buy from Florida??

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Yes Bob. It costs more to transport with no brakes. It has sitting 18 years. Needs brake system overhaul.
          63V29789 JTS1614. Thanks for your help.
          Allen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

What could cause the brake pedal on a Hawk not to push down? It has been sitting in a garage, then under a carport for over 15 years.
            Allen
            If you dedide to use a brake pedal part cross referenced to a Toyota part you might want to think twice, LOL

John

63R-2386 under restoration & modification
            sigpic
            John
            63R-2386
            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Brakes are the cheapest part of any restoration. Replace everthing! Why risk your life or the distruction of your car for a few measly dollars. And please! When you replace everything, it gives you an opportunity to switch to Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid. Your system will now out last you, and you won't have to worry about your paint while bleeding or filling.
              Good Roads
              Brian

Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Brian,
                Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to get the car operable for shipping to save a little loading cost. I plan on replacing and rebuilding all of the brake system. Especially being a full package 63 R2 GT Hawk. I have contacted Peg Trucking for the transporting.
                Allen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by woodysrods

When you replace everything, it gives you an opportunity to switch to Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid. Your system will now out last you, and you won't have to worry about your paint while bleeding or filling.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian - I agree in principle with your comments, but I don't think using DOT 5 gets rid of the need to flush your system periodically (if that is what you were implying - if not, disregard my comments ).
                  All systems pick up moisture and dirt it's just DOT 5 doesn't allow the moisture to mix in with the brake fluid like DOT 3. Other than the paint issue, either works quite well IMHO with regular maintenance.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island Chapter
                  http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Brian,
                    Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to get the car operable for shipping to save a little loading cost. I plan on replacing and rebuilding all of the brake system. Especially being a full package 63 R2 GT Hawk. I have contacted Peg Trucking for the transporting.
                    Allen

Everything is more expensive to repair on a disk brake car. It's often $700 or more just for parts.

JDP/Maryland
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Allen, my experience has been that shipping a car without brakes has been $100-200 extra. Figure out what it would cost to hire someone where the car is to get brakes working and figure it against the hauler's penalty. Not worth bothering, especially considering you'll want to redo any work a stranger does once you have the car anyway.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

You are right Bob. I am having the car shipped as is. Some new brake parts are in the trunk. I want to replace the brake lines, hoses, etc. The flexible hoses for the Hydrovac Booster are high priced items for some reason. I have noticed brake hoses on eBay made in Argentina. Anyone ever use them?
                        Allen

Comment

I have noticed brake hoses on eBay made in Argentina. Anyone ever use them?
                          Allen
                          I bought a set and am using them on my C-Cab... only been on the truck for a few months, but they are working fine so far. They fit like a glove during the install.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island Chapter
                          http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

They show being made to high standards. I am going to ask if they will make the flexible hoses for the Brake Booster for less than the $32.00 each from another place.
                            Allen

Comment

Working...
                            X