OD unit is "stuck" in gear.....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD unit is "stuck" in gear.....??

1963 Cruiser.....Been parked for 10 years. I bought this car yesterday. T-O brg stuck (?) Got it started easy enough in neutral. Shut it down. Pulled the OD handle out and the handle slipped off the cable end. Grabbed with pliers and pushed all the way in to dash and had trouble pulling out. Car was delivered to my sister's house (2 hours away from me now) and seller says the tranny is stuck in gear. I did mess with the gear lever to check positions, and probably left it "in" gear with a "moved" OD cable. Is it possible that my moving the OD cable caused the tranny to get stuck in 1st gear ?? I need to get this car onto a trailer back home, was going to drive it up onto trailer with decent brakes, but now expect some problems... Short of disconnecting the driveshaft and loading with a come-a-long....what potential problems lie in trying to manipulate the levers on both the tranny main case and/or OD case(s)...??

did the PO mean its stuck in OD or did he mean that the OD handle is stuck? Either way you should be able to put it in neutral and the tranny will actually be in neutral allowing you to roll the car. Worst case scenario is the shift linkage is bound up, disconnect the linkage and shift the levers into neutral. Levers pointing vertical. Only one of them can be shifter fwd or aft at a time. Then is they still won't shift and you don't want to force them so then be conservative and disconnect the drive shaft and roll it on. Don't forget to use jack stands and expect the car to roll if on a incline and you disconnect the driveshaft. Chalk the wheels (block them to prevent rolling)
    Safety first
    quote:Originally posted by jackb

1963 Cruiser.....Been parked for 10 years. I bought this car yesterday. T-O brg stuck (?) Got it started easy enough in neutral. Shut it down. Pulled the OD handle out and the handle slipped off the cable end. Grabbed with pliers and pushed all the way in to dash and had trouble pulling out. Car was delivered to my sister's house (2 hours away from me now) and seller says the tranny is stuck in gear. I did mess with the gear lever to check positions, and probably left it "in" gear with a "moved" OD cable. Is it possible that my moving the OD cable caused the tranny to get stuck in 1st gear ?? I need to get this car onto a trailer back home, was going to drive it up onto trailer with decent brakes, but now expect some problems... Short of disconnecting the driveshaft and loading with a come-a-long....what potential problems lie in trying to manipulate the levers on both the tranny main case and/or OD case(s)...??

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

....before getting to the car myself, he told me he could drive the car around and stop it without using the clutch..I can see that. When I looked at the car on Sunday, it was in Neutral and we started and it idled for a few minutes quite nicely. I then got behind the wheel, turned it off, went through the gears, thought I left it in Neutral, and proceeded to work the cable with the above results. I'm sure I was having trouble moving the OD cable by pliers....When the seller went to load the car onto his ramp truck, he said he couldn't get it into "Neutral", started it in gear (1st)and drove up the ramp and stopped and deliverd it to my sister's house rolling backwards down the ramp.....He and I think my moving the OD cable has somehow left the tranny in between....if you know what I mean....

Comment

OD is either enabled or disabled. There is no in-between. However, as Russ said, above, it's not difficult when moving the gear lever from first to second to drop the lever into neutral, leaving the transmission in 1st. To remedy this problem, you crawl under the car and move one of the two levers on the side of the front transmission case so that they both are hanging down/vertical.

Us old time Stude drivers normally shift in a Z pattern, first, up toward reverse, (past neutral) down and over into 2nd - 3rd range, then up into second.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        ....On the road, again....
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
        X