Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overdrive Puzzlement-Locked out reverse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive Puzzlement-Locked out reverse.

Our 57 Silver Hawk was bought with a 3 speed floor shift top loader tranny. I have no info
    on the model but think it is may be a T86. My son and I replaced the Overdrive cable and got it to control the shift arm on the OD's side. When we moved the car with the OD knob pushed in. the car would not go into reverse. When pulled out, taking it out of OD, then it would shift into reverse. My 50 Starlight with OD does not have this problem so I guess it is either the transmission interface or maybe, since we doubt the OD is yet functional, internally the OD thinks it is above 30 mph and never shifted down.

What say you tranny experts?

....Dick CUrtis and son Ron
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Is all the right OD wiring and governor in place? I've seen people straight wire the solenoid with a toggle switch. If you do that, you'll have to lockout the OD for it to go into reverse.

Or, it could just be because you have a trans with a top loader conversion.

Comment

I'm not a tranny expert but I did drive a Studebaker with an overdrive transmission once,<G>
      You may have an electrical problem.
      My Stude OD would not hold the car in place when parked in reverse with the control cable pushed in and with the ign. off.
      Don't know if that's normal, but that's the way it was.
      JF

Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The no reverse problem is normal with a top shifter, you have to lock out the overdrive (pull the handle out) to get reverse unless you have Gord Richmond's Patent number pending, modification.

The NO direct drive above or below 30 MPH is another thing entirely, the kickdown switch may be wired wrong or defective, because it is always electrically IN overdrive. Check the wiring diagram in the Shop manual.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THANK YOU !
          I think it is the top loader transmission as most have suggested. The shift will go into reverse position with OD engaged but car feels like it is in neutral when let out the clutch-Free wheeling ?
          ....DIck
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starlightchamp

THANK YOU !
            I think it is the top loader transmission as most have suggested. The shift will go into reverse position with OD engaged but car feels like it is in neutral when let out the clutch-Free wheeling ?
            ....DIck
            It is my understanding that 'a top loader transmission' does not necessarily mean the stick comes out of the top of the transmission, it means all the gears (sometimes including the input and/or output shafts) are loaded in through the top of the tranny when it is assembled. You said you have a floor shift, is it a floor shift conversion or a Jeep shifter adapted into the top of the Stude tranny?

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I's say it's a Truck top shifter, not a top loader, but you had to see his other post to tell that Jerry.

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You guys seem a bit confused. T86s did come as toploaders meaning that the parts are installed from the top and the shifter cover mounts on the top. It may have been used in Jeeps but my 46 Gibson tractor has one and my guess it that it was used in pickups too.

AS for the no reverse you do have to have the OD locked out and you had better get in a habit of doing that before you pull into a parking spot up against one of those bumpers with pressure agaings both wheels cause then you would be in a real fix with TT.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                61 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                61 V8 Tcab
                63 Tcab 20R powered
                55 Commander Wagon
                54 Champion Wagon
                46 Gibson Model A
                50 JD MC
                45 Agricat
                67 Triumph T100
                66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I's say it's a Truck top shifter, not a top loader, but you had to see his other post to tell that Jerry.
                  StudeRich
                  Yes it does look like a Stude truck or Jeep top shifter. I had not seen that picture before, is that starlightchamp's car?

Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

pretty sure that is normal function. My '62 lark is the same and I thought I read that in the manual on OD's. Also like I read earlier, if you leave the car in gear no parking brake with OD engaged, expect it to roll if parking lot is not perfectly level!

"Oppurtunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Comment

Yes, ,Jerry, that is my (Starlightchamp) son's car that I have been helping restore.
                      Thanks to StudeRich for identifying and printing the pic in this thread. We plan to give the
                      tranny a good power wash and then use the lift to get an examination of the unit for
                      any identification labels.
                      Thanks again for the help.
                      ...Dick Curtis
                      Santa Barbara
                      CA

Comment

I know it is slightly different but my 1940 Commander with overdrive locks out the freewheeling when you park if you put it into reverse. It will roll in every gear except reverse. I always leave in reverse when I park.

28 dictator
                        40 commander
                        28 dictator
                        40 commander

Comment

Working...
                        X