6 cylinder lark questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 cylinder lark questions

Some questions for my 61 Lark 6 engine (I know these have been asked a lot but...)
    1. The corect weight for oil in TX is?
    2. The head, valves, etc and all have be done professionally. The head bolted to the block correctly, and there was a pin hole leak at the head gasket, I have had the head reinstalled twice, so what is left to do? I did add BARS Stop Leak and I am waiting to see if this helps (The leak is not constant just slight and sometimes). The head has been retorqued.(Repaired valves solved a llot of blow by issues) NO funny somke from the tail pipe, oil is oil and anti freeze is normal. A slight bit of sludge in the oil cap.
    3. A slight knocking for a minute, usually when real cold, or from non use. The oil I have been using is 20W 50. Can this be a cause? This knocking just started. I rebuilt the engine 10 years ago and there is 3000 on the rebuild.
    4. Plugs are all showing ok # 5 and 6 a little carbon on them, what is this?
    Your help is appreciated?
    Thanks.

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

David - When the head was torqued down, did the tech/mechanic follow the tightening sequence?
    Also, was the head checked for a possible warp originally? My machine shop is adamant about checking surfaces.

Comment

If the plugs have DRY carbon not wet, it is Fuel -too rich.

Some of these OHV 6's mostly '63-'64 ORIGINALLY have, had terrible Carbs. that are hard to lean down, and make run well. But unless changed your '61 would have had a slightly better type AS Carter one barrel. The bad ones are model RBS Carter.

20W-50 Oil in Texas, should be fine, if you add ZDDPlus additive for the ZDDP needed in today's oils, or use Castrol Syntec 20W-50 full Synthetic Oil. [^]

Was a good Permatex non-silicone gasket sealer used on the head Gasket?

You MAY have a timing (Cam) gear "knock".

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you want to isolate the knock from the crank, put some thin oil in the engine and warm it real good and then drop the idle as far as it will go and see if your needle starts to fluctuate in time with the knock.

Comment

Head torque and sequence followed.
          20 W 50 ok with zink.??
          I have the 61 AS carb
          Probably is too rich.
          Used a copper type headgasket sealant.
          Thanks

David G. Nittler
          David G. Nittler

Comment

FWIW...a friend has an original 61' OHV 6..never touched. He has a pin leak at the head that is intermittant and never really allows for that much loss. ~80K miles. Runs nice and smooth. I think we expect too much from these 50 yo beasts sometime....on the other hand, a rebuilt engine should have been measured before re-assembly.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by drnittler

20 W 50 ok with zink.??
              Repeat Quote: "20W-50 Oil in Texas, should be fine, if you add ZDDPlus additive for the ZDDP needed in today's oils, or use Castrol Syntec 20W-50 full Synthetic Oil."

Nuff said?

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Update I fired up the car, nothing weird. It knows I contacted SDC! (I threatened to sell it and keep my son's 50 Ford!!!)

David G. Nittler
                David G. Nittler

Comment

Update I fired up the car, nothing weird. It knows I contacted SDC! (I threatened to sell it and keep my son's 50 Ford!!!)

David G. Nittler
                  David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                  X