What rearend do i have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rearend do i have?

How do i know what rearend i have in my truck? Its a 61 champ 6ETB w/170 inline 6 & 3 on the tree. Any help as i wish to change the gear ratio.

Unless its been changed out its a Dana 44, referred to as a Spicer 2211 in the truck shop manual.
    Dana 44 parts are widely available.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

As Charlie says, a Dana 44 is what should be there. With the "gear case" in that rear, the lowest gears you could use would be 4.10. If you want to go with lower gears still, you'll have to come up with a different gear case as well. This case could be gotten from a car axle with lower gears. [^]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I used to work at DAna. In fact I worked there when i puchased this truck. I was told the gears had been changed by a former owner. How can i tell visually what rear end i have? Any code numbers i can find on the rearend? thanks for all your help, and keep the info coming.

Comment

Were you told that just the gears were changed or the whole axle? Visually the cover will be 10 bolts and oblong shape. But many other axles have the same appearance as well. My book tells me this: For quick ID reference, Dana puts the model# (28,30,44,50,60,70,80) raised in the casting of the center housing. All Dana axle assemblies are also marked by both a stamped # in one of the axle tubes and labled by a metal tag attached to a cover bolt. Once this "Bill of Material" is found, the # can be cross referenced in a DANA XGI catalog. The "B.O.M" # will look like this: 6010445-2=Ford Model 60 Front 1994-F350. As far as gear choices and parts it is endless. Your choice of gears will depend on which case you have. The case changed at 3.73- and 3.92+. You can get gears in any ratio desired. You can give me your bill of material number and i'll look it up for you.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

OK...by "what rearend" are asking "what gear ratio do I have"?.

There should be a metal tab under one of the rear cover bolts. On that tab will be the ratio and-or the number of teeth on the ring gear and the number of teeth on the pinion. Divide the big number by the small number and that will give you the ratio.

If there is not a metal tab under a bolt, jack up the rear of the car, put it on jack stands and turn the drive shaft counting the revolutions and portions of a revolution until you get a wheel to turn one full turn. About 4 turns and you have a 4.09, four and a half turns and you have a 4.55, three and three quarter turns and you have a 3.73.

If you are asking "what make and model rear end do I have"...if it is a DANA 44 there will be a 44 on the right side web between the axle tube and the pumpkin looking at the rear end from the back of the truck. If some previous owner switched it out for a brand X, youll have to post a picture of it so we can help ID it.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

What Dick said.... are you asking what rear end assy you have or WHAT GEARS you have?

"44" Should be visible where it's cast into one of the webs where the axle tube meets the cast housing. Even if there isn't a tag under one of the bolts (assuming it's a Dana) you could remove the cover and look at the edge of the face that the ring gear mounts with. It should TELL you how many teeth are on it. From that you could deduce the ratio.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

thanks guys, I will check as soon as i can get a chance. Then i'll let you know. The guy i bought the truck from said it had a different rearend or gears. He didn't really know, he knows nothing of cars i'm assuming.

Comment

Im in a similar situation with a 1955 c-cab pickup. I dont have the workshop manual and was wondering what the rear end gears it would have and where I could go to get replacements so I can change them. I have changed the motor to a 305 chev and the tranny to a th-350 with torq-lockup. I also got a custom drivshaft made up and balanced. When I test drove the truck I felt that it was geared too low and want to get some highway economy out of it. I am thinking that they are 4.11's or 4.88's but need someone that knows more about it. What would be a decent replacement gear?

Comment

My '59 PU has a Dana 44 in it. It had a 4:27 rear originally. Driving it, you'd be in second gear by the time you got to the end of the driveway. [:0] It was screaming at 55 mph with the OD engaged. We changed the gears to a 3:53 from a '60 Hawk. Now, it'll cruise all day at 65 mph with that little six hummin' right along... [8D]

I know this is basically what others have said, but...
                    One way to check to see what you have, if the tag is gone, is to pull the cover and read the stamped numbers on the biggest gear. (I forget what it's called...) For example, the old one from my truck has "47/11" stamped into it. If you divide that out, it comes out to 4:27. Sure beats counting all those little teeth.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, i'll check for the number on the biggest gear. What kind of oil would you use in the rear end and if I crack it open does that mean I have to put a new gasket in or could i get away with re-using the old one with the help of some atv gasket maker?

Comment

I would use a new gasket, even Autozone has them, just be prepared to give them a Jeep or Ford DANA 44 application.
                        I got one for my Dana 60 which is also used on HD Jeep pickups, Fords, Dodges etc.

3E38
                        4E2
                        4E28
                        5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28
                        4E2
                        59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

quote:Originally posted by greener_dude
                          if I crack it open does that mean I have to put a new gasket in or could i get away with re-using the old one with the help of some atv gasket maker?
                          A new gasket is common and cheaper than a tube of RTV.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well it is a Dana 44 w/3.31 gears. Well at least the tag says 3.31 gears. I don't know if they were changed. But i'll keep you updated when i open up the case in a few weeks. Right now i'm tryin to find a new motor for the truck. Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

yes checking them by pulling the cover is the best way to find out what gear you could get. if it is on the road and you have a tach you can use alittle math to figure it out too.
                              get trans mission in a 1 to 1 ratio wheather that is drive, 4th or 3rd not in overdrive. the check your rpm at 60 mph. write it down. example 2000

then measure your tire height.
                              multiply tire hieght by pi 3.14
                              example 27 in tall tire x 3.14= 84.78
                              divid your sum by 12. (84.78/12= 7.065) that is tire diameter in feet.

now guess alittle using formula
                              rpm/rearend gearxtire diameterx60/5280=mph
                              example
                              2000/3.08=649.350
                              649.350x7.065=4587.663
                              4587.663x60=275259.740
                              275259/5280=53mph not quit 60 mph gear is higher try 2.73 and repeat.
                              if your awnser is 70 mph try a lower gear 3.31 3.54 and so on. take only a minute after you know the formula. worka well for figuring max rpm you want to run in 1/4 mile to guess a good gear.
                              anyway its another way
                              erin

p.s. 2.73 net 59 mph at 2000 rpm
                              3.31 2500rpm at 60
                              3.54 2650rpm at 60
                              3.73 2800 at 60
                              so on and so on

Erin Hays
                              1961 Hawk
                              1962 Lark
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment