No announcement yet.

My Street Version Port Injection for the '55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd say take whatever is left over with the pedal even if you don't use it. I'm the kind of guy who will take that stuff, in the event that I'll need it in the future. You'll need to remove it from the firewall, and you'll need to be super careful with the clips on the firewall(it's one of those deals where you squeeze both sides in, and push it through the hole).

My suspended pedal was almost application specific, in that I wanted something with a little more control than the stock pedal that I was using. If you're using a stock Studebaker carb, I'd almost be tempted to use the stock mechanical linkage that hung from the back of the engine, unless you can find a way to make it work with the Studebaker carb. I had one in the Lark and 2r5 without issue, as they were still factory carbureted engines. If there's some semblance of a hole where the throttle boot used to be, and a place to drill two holes in the floor, and unlike my other Daytona project, is not rusted through in the toeboards, for simplicity's sake I'd use the stock mechanical linkage in this regard. If you really wanna a challenge though, want to remove the linkage on the back of the engine, and in general, clean up the area around the firewall, you can use a cable linkage. However, like I said, you will need to find a way to hook it up to the Studebaker carburetor, and align the cable linkage so it doesn't bind. But, you will have a modern pedal in the car.

I also forgot....return springs. I used stiffer dual coil return springs from an '85 Oldsmobile. I hooked those up to the throttle body, which solved the closing issues, as the geometry allows them the throttle to properly close.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

• What actually sparked the idea was talking about using the brake pedal/booster out of this truck. Thanks for the advice. We'll see how custom I go in these departments.

Comment

• When I pulled everything out of the Plymouth I also saved the cable between the pedal & carb but it was so long that I went for the old linkage instead, easy enough to weld the rods together on the top & it worx.

My original pedal was screwed on a door-hinge in a strange angle & really rusted -beginning to bend- so I made a pedal out of aluminum & got a more racing-looking one, but it's not totally finished yet, gotta do a ring/holder on the back for the push-rod first since the drilled hole is to shallow.

Comment

• ...So I guess the best is to check how long cable you need, it's quite irritating when it's just that little to long & bends in bad ways.

Comment

• Obviously your not afraid to do anything with welder. So just curious, have you considered making some tube style headers for this baby?

Comment

• I've had it in the back of my head to do some turbo headers. I really should do up a pipe bender beforehand, of which I have some drawings for. I have a 300 dollar 110V 125 amp Clarke MIG welder, that I've had since 2007. It's not a fancy welder, but for thin metal application(well up to 3/16) it gets the job done, and the parts on it are practically universal. I should also add that I'm learning as I'm going, so the welds are functional, but they won't be pretty. I'd also chalk that up to the welder too. Anyway, like I said, I have ideas for turbo headers, which are like tube headers, except they possess a flange on the collector for the turbocharger. I'd need to get some more bulk exhaust pipe from the automotive supply company down here for that, which isn't a real big deal, and I'd have to cut down some wide bar stock that I can get at Menards on the opposite end of town. For now it's on the backburner though, because I'm working on a separate project involving the hood. I have a pair of cone filters that I bought about a year ago, but no place to put them, so I'm going to, ahem, make a slight adjustment to the height of the hood. I'll get more into that later when I get into that little project.
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

• Thinking of adjusting the hood's hight... where I grew up a guy had that problem on his street-racing -62 Valiant & he cut the hood almost the whole length on both sides about2 inches from the outer edges (as I remember) & welded in curved strips that were higher/wider at the middle.
                At first it just looked odd but then when you reallyreally looked at it it actually looked cool & loads of people (including me) said "I'm gonna do that too!" but still to this day I can't remember anyone doing it.
                It's just that now when I'm thinking of it I might just do that... if needed.

Comment

• I wonder if you could go to the parts yards and scavage some turbo headers off of two four cylinder car. Take them and chop and weld till they line up with the studebaker flange.

Comment

• I'll try and keep yall posted on the hood. I will say that when I solve a problem like this on the car, I really go big with making it lot better than it was before, just look at the bumpers!

With the turbo flanges, the ports on these heads are siamesed in the center. Many modern headers have separated ports, and I wouldn't be sure if the pipes would line up with the ports. I really like starting off from scratch on assembling the pipes, than try to make something fit, so it's easier just to cut a pair of flanges, and make up some pipes, than to try and force something incompatible together. It sounds out of sorts with what I've been doing with the rest of the engine, but much like the intake manifold, we're dealing with something that is a pretty Studebaker specific component, so it may call for something fairly custom.

Comment

• I used to make headers in the late 70's & there's a lot to it, you ought to have the firing-order in mind to make the pipes come together so the explosions help pushing each other out... otherwise you might end up with pulses that choke each other.
                      So there's some drawing & such to do... but it sure is worth it!
                      First time I put my own on my -62 Valiant 225 slant six it was "WOW, I FEEL IT!!!" not like "yeah, I sure think I feel it..." & there wasn't anything else done to that engine.
                      Well, to say I used to make them is a over-statement since I couldn't weld at the time but I had this guy doing the actual welding for me & I sat by his side & held the pipes where I wanted them to fit.

Comment

• Yep, depending on what you're looking for, there's also formulas to help you determine how big and how long the pipes need to be. Whenever I get to them, this will probably just be used for eye candy, as I don't have intentions of making all sorts of different sets of headers to run on the dragstrip. I have some calculations in my notebook here from way back on how long the pipes should be. The turbo headers also have a similar set of guidelines as the regular headers do, except the end result is where, when, and how efficiently do you want the turbo to start to spool. I will say that what I have on their now does do the job, but it's more like an exhaust pipe adapter. The flange comes off of the stock exhaust manifold, makes a U shape, comes up into the engine compartment, and joins with the turbo. It works, but it's not exactly pretty. What it really needs is something that goes directly to the exhaust pipe, and all four ports need to join at the turbo flange instead.

Comment

• Why not copy some headers, Hooker's for example, they must've made some for Studebaker engines... then you just ad what you want to it!

Comment

• Why not copy some headers, Hooker's for example, they must've made some for Studebaker engines... then you just ad what you want to it!

Yeah, I could do that, but that'd suck some of the fun out of this sorta thing!

Comment

• Well then you just kinda look in to it... in a way... & then when you've got the idea you make your own version & it'll be your style anyway!
                              After all, the real FUN is when it worx GOOD!!!

& maby ther's some folx on Sonny's racing site who...?
                              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Yeah does anybody make headers for a stude??

Comment

Working...
                                X