How do I get my M 5 steering wheel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my M 5 steering wheel off

Hi, Does anybody have a suggestion for helping me get the steering wheel off my M 5? I have tried a lot of different things, including using the three holes in the steering wheel and a wheel puller. I was too afraid that I was going to just pull the screws right out. I have been pounding on it for the last hour and nothing. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    [?]

Years ago when I did mine I rigged up a two piece device that I could slip around the column under the wheel and hold together with a u-bolt. I then used a 2 arm puller to slip the wheel off. There was a thread on this topic a while back and several good suggestions.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

After removing the retaining nut and washer apply any one of the better penitrating oils tap lightly to viabrate the oil down the splines. Let it set for a couple of days.

Richard

Comment

Use a product called MOOVIT it is by far the best thing I have ever found. Working on old rusty cars for the past 42 years!
        Brian

Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I used a big hammer. Of course, I did have a replacement wheel.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Use a bearing separator, and assemble it between the steering wheel and the top of the column, and pull on it. Be sure to thread the nut on the shaft flush with the end, to help protect the threads. If the puller screw has no "shoe" on it, improvise something to place between the puller screw and the end of the shaft.

You don't want to beat too much on that steering shaft; there are ball bearings in the steering box, and you can hammer flats into them.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

BTW My wheel came off fairly easily once I got a straight pull on it. Of course the M was only 25 years old at the time. Yours has probably been undisturbed for a bit longer.

1952 Champion Starlight w/overdrive. Searcy, Arkansas
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

A modern steering wheel puller won't work.
                You need to be completely under the wheel with a wide plate puller.
                (Here's a pic of a period 'Kent-Moore' steering wheel puller)...
                Your puller may not look like this, but you get the jist of how it is supposed to be pulled off...

Also...
                Put the nut on loose and 'flush' with the end of the column tube so you don't mush the tube out when you do use the puller...
                Tighten pur puller up real snug and gibe the end of the puller a sharp whack with your hammer to 'shock' the wheel hub on the column splines.
                It 'should' pop loose...
                HTIH...
                Jeff[8D]
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for all the help. It finally popped off just about 2 hours ago. I used a bearing seperator and a gear puller and cussed a lot. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X