Brakes on a 59 VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes on a 59 VI

i just picked up a 1959 VI at an auction the car is complete runs and drives except 1 thing. The brakes. This is probably a strupid question but does anyone know where the master cylinder and brake fluid reservoir is located on the car. Getting upset with it as I cant drive it without brakes and want to get out for one trip before snow flies.

<s>I believe it should be on the firewall in a Lark of that year, whereas a Hawk</s> has it under the drivers floor and is accessed through a hole in the floor. If you need used parts or want to meet a fellow with a collection of Studebakers in your area, you should look up Terry Farmer in your phonebook. I believe he lives just outside of Winnepeg.

Edit: Thanks for correcting me guys.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

In 59 the brake master cylinder was still located under the drivers side floor board. There should be an access cover in the floor.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I think you will find the master cylinder (build in reservoir) under the floor just to the rear of the brake pedal. Should be a rubber cover in lthe floor and under it is the master cylinder.

Comment

And for what it's worth...you can get "new" wheel cylinders as you may need them.
          Go ahead...ask me how I know...!
          Shoes are easilly available also.

I'd "assume" that the master cylinder is available because of the wheel cyl's.
          Mine's got a later dual cylinder.

Though I'd check to see which is a quicker wait time...your local parts house or a Stude dealer.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X