1950 tail lights work om 1952?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 tail lights work om 1952?

will a '50 tail light fit on a '52 Starlight?
    John
    Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

I was waiting for someone to answer this but it seems no one is.

My feeling is, if you replace the ENTIRE tail light, (including the base, the part that bolts to the fender) they will interchange.

Frankly, you can PROBABLY change just the lens and bezel and still will fit but the '52 has an indentation on the body of the tail light where the top of the lens fits. I think this will not interfere with the lens from the '50. But I think the 4 screws that hold the tail light together are longer on the '52. Also you [u]may</u> need to drill different holes for the screws of the '50 bezel.

I'm wondering why you want to change tail lights? The "frenched" '52 looks very "snazzy". If I were gonna change anything, I'd put on the '51. They are much bigger and can be seen much more easily from the side than the '50.

Good luck.

John

Comment

The rear fenders are the same from 50-52. The tail light housings for the 52 are flat and the 50-51 have an indention. You will have to use the 50-51 housings along with the 50 or 51 lenses and rims.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk
      1964 Convertable
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I usually hesitate to dispute someone elses statements. So I went out to my very NOT-restored '52 Land Cruiser and took these pix.

As is obvious, the reason for the indentation, as previously stated is so the lens will fit tightly against the body of the light. Chances are, the earlier lens and bezel would fit on the '52 body but not vice-versa.

By the way, if you have a '52, you already know this but the top screws are longer than the bottom ones.

Good luck.

John

Comment

thanks guys ..

what I was doing is thinking about putting 52 tail lights on my semi custom 50 Starlight..

looking to change it slightly to add to the lines of the car ..

I don't care for the '50 tail lights .... to me thats where the stylists fell short back in 50 -51

so if I am reading this right... the 52's should bolt up with little retro fit on to the 50

any body got a set complete ?--- pm me
          John
          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Starlite51

... the 52's should bolt up with little retro fit on to the 50...
            Yes they will fit IF you use the entire '52 tail light--base (called the "body" in the Chassis Parts Catalog), lens, gasket, outer body (called "rim" in the Catalog) and trim ring ("escutcheon"). As I've said twice, because of the indentation necessary for the '52 lens to fit properly, you'll also need the '52 "body". I guess you could attempt to "customize" the "body" of a '50-'51 but I think it would be hard to seal the top seal of the '52 lens.

Here are the pix, '51-'52, in the Chassis Parts Catalog.

Notice indentation in the '52.

Good luck. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

John

Comment

Working...
            X