NO OIL PRESSURE!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO OIL PRESSURE!?

I have a 63' 289 w/ 3 speed OD. The motor was rebuilt before it was brought to us. It has never been run since the rebuild, which was quite recent. We have done everything the right way to get this thing to pressure up and I am getting nothing. Any ideas guys? I have yet to pull the pan off and check everything down there, that will be the first step in the morning.

Pull the distributor and make sure the shaft is in there that runs the oil pump off the distributor.

Comment

What method have you used to get it to "Pressure Up?"

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Using a mechanical gage ? Sometimes senders are bad (oil pressure and warning light) Just checking.

Comment

Shaft is there

Using a mechanical gage

Filled motor (and filter) with oil. Removed spark plugs (so it spins easier) and cranked motor in 10-20 sec. bursts. There is nothing. I hooked the gauge to the lower fitting on the rear of the motor...still nothing. Pulled the distributor and spun motor...gear is turning. Re-stabbed dist. turned it over again and still nothing. Bad pump? something wrong with the pickup? Like i said earlier first thing tomorrow I am going to remove the pan, but i wanted to run it by you guys, bc this is a new motor to me.

Comment

Make sure the rear oil gallery plug is in place.Its an allen head plug--you can see it if you pull the distributer. If the engine is out, access is through the small freeze plug above the cam plug.

Good luck

Jeff Jones
            Tucson Arizona
            1947 M-5

Comment

I will check that first thing tomorrow.

Comment

Take the oil filter off and look up at the inside of the filter adaptor there are a couple of valves in there.One of mine was missing and I also had no oil pressure on a newly rebuilt engine.I replaced the adaptor with a new one and the oil pressure was and is still very good.The engine had a spun bearing when I got the car and I believe that is probably what caused it.Don

Comment

I'm placing bets on the oil gallery plug.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When turning the pump with a drill, did you reverse the drill? Pump and distributor turn counter clockwise.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I'm placing bets on the oil gallery plug.

Comment

Since you don't know how long ago the engine was rebuilt, about four years ago there were some reproducted "new" oil pumps that didn't have outline hole drilled in the housing. So if you drop the pan, be sure to to disassemble the oil pump and check it.

Comment

Everything is turning in the right direction, and the plug is in. Going to check the filter adapter and then moving to remove the oilpan.

Comment

Just as information -
                          Other than shaft to body wear and some gear to plate wear, there's nothing in the pump to go bad.
                          Even with a badly worn pump, you should have "some" pressure.

A dumb(?) question...is the spring and (releif) piston in the front of the block correctly installed?

Mike

Comment

Sometimes, loosening the oil filter for a few minutes will allow an air bubble to escape from the oil pump. Check to see if the problem has disappeared after checking the filter adaptor; even if everything was ok there.
                            Mike M.

Comment

Yes, but my question is....is the spring worn out? I pulled the oil pump and put air through the motor with oil still in the filter and at whatever pressure i put in, it is bleeding out of the relief valve...i believe. I put 90 psi into it and it only registered 10 psi on my gauge...and the gauge is correct. This is why i think the spring is worn out. Is there an oil gally plug in the front that could be missing? I am stumped

Comment

Working...
                              X