Temporary Ignition Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Ignition Coil

I noticed that my Pertronix Flamethrower coil is leaking oil! I contacted Pertronix and they said to send in the old one for a replacement. My problem is what to do while I wait for the turn around time. I can locally pick up an Accel Coil (no Pertronix Dealer in town) with 1.5 ohms to run the car until the Pertronix makes it back. I am running a Pertronix Ignition system in the car (62 Hawk). I don't see that I would have a problem, but thought I would ask if anyone has ever had a problem mixing the systems.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

A coil is a coil...as long as the impedance is correct you should have no problems. Even if the coil was of a different impedance, the proper resistor will take care of that.

I know a Pertronix coil can put out some voltage. Several years ago I had a problem with my '69 Corvette not starting. It turned out the coil wire from the Pertronix had a pinhole and the spark was grounding out against the steel distributor/coil shroud. I didn't even touch it..just ran my hand close to it and got a shock that sent me to a dark room to make sure my gonads hadn't turned into night lights! They didn't name that Flamethrower for no reason!

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gunslinger

make sure my gonads hadn't turned into night lights
      Thanks for that mental image! I just had to clean up the coffee that squirted out my nose when I laughed!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Any points type ignition coil with a resistance of 1.5 ohms will work fine in your Hawk. You don't have to use a higher performance coil as a replacement as a stock coil should give you plenty of spark. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X