Need advice on clutch installation in '51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on clutch installation in '51 Champion

I just replaced the clutch disk and release bearing on my daughter's '51 Champion. The reasons for the clutch job were: 1) there was not enough clutch friction when engaged to move the car and 2) the clutch pedal did not want to come back up more than half way after being pushed in. I found that the old clutch disk was worn down to its rivets and the clutch operating shaft was pretty much frozen its bushing on the right side of the bellhousing. So I thought I fixed both problems and put it back together with the old pressure plate, which looked fine. After reassembly, the clutch pedal still did not want to come back up after being pushed in. So I looked through the hole in the top of the bellhousing (after removing the inspection plate in the floor) and I could see the release bearing moving against the pressure plate, as it should, when I pushed the clutch pedal in. But I could see one of the pressure plate fingers, and the release bearing wasn't moving it very much. I checked the shop manual and saw that there is an adjustment of the pressure plate fingers (or toggle levers), which requires some gages (that I don't have). So I don't get it. Reusing the old pressure plate, I didn't think it would need any adjustment. But I don't know this car's history. It's never been in running condition since my daughter bought it. Maybe the pressure plate was out of adjustment before I changed the clutch. Now it looks like I need to do it all again--remove the transmission and bellhousing again. Once I do that, I would be able to adjust the pressure plate fingers, if needed. Can I make that adjustment without the Studebaker gages? If so, does anyone know the measurements I would need to make the adjustment? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe, 3-speed w/OD
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R2, 4-speed (R4399)
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Pardon me if this is a silly question...do you have the clutch pedal return spring in place?

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not a silly question, but yes, it's attached and functional. It seems to me that clutch pedal return is a function of two things: 1) the clutch pedal return spring and 2) the pressure plate springs pushing back on the release bearing as you pull your foot off the clutch pedal. I think the problem is with #2. It looks like the release bearing is not pushing enough on the pressure plate fingers either to release the clutch or to encounter much spring pressure in the pressure plate.
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA

Comment

I asked because you said that the clutch didn't come up far enough. It sounds like you are saying that the clutch is is not getting sufficient movement to disengage.There is some mechanical adjustment on the clutch pedal travel. If you have covered that, then it might just be the pressure plate as you suggest. I have never had this problem so I have never addressed it. It is possible that that is what caused the first clutch to wear so bad. You might need to go back in and work on the pressure plate after all. Better yet, see if you can find another one while you are at it.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The clutch pedal linkage adjustment is a possibility that I will have to look at more closely. Don't know why it would be this much out of adjustment, but it might be a possibility. I'll report back after checking it. Thanks.
          Pete R
          Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Thank you, thank you. The pedal linkage adjustment did the trick. Working fine now. I guess it was being adjusted as the clutch wore out. I had to shorten the adjusting link as short as it would go. Now have a little over an inch of pedal fee play and clutch action feels solid. Now I can go finish the job instead of starting over again.
            Pete R
            Woodbridge, VA

Comment

i always replace the entire clutch unit every time i did a clutch job. with a pressure plate have it rebuilt or install a new or rebuilt unit.i prefer new. i also rebuild the clutch linkage every time whats the use of putting a new clutch in when your using worn out linkage.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

Working...
              X