Sealing glass sediment bowl ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing glass sediment bowl ?

I have a 1953 Commander with the original fuel pump. I have installed an electric fuel pump to help cure vapor lock problems. The orginal pump does most of the work most of the time.
    During the last two outings the cork gasket at the top of the sediment bowl has lost it's seal. The first time I left the electric fuel pump on to long and I thought the pressure blew the seal. Today I took the car for a short run and turned the fuel pump on only a couple of times and for very short bursts.
    Is that glass bowl screw suppose to be hand tighten only? I cut a new cork gasket two weeks ago and installed. It seemed to be working until I drove it today. Do I need to replace the cork with some other material? Thicker cork?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

I have a 1953 Commander with the original fuel pump. I have installed an electric fuel pump to help cure vapor lock problems. The orginal pump does most of the work most of the time.
    During the last two outings the cork gasket at the top of the sediment bowl has lost it's seal. The first time I left the electric fuel pump on to long and I thought the pressure blew the seal. Today I took the car for a short run and turned the fuel pump on only a couple of times and for very short bursts.
    Is that glass bowl screw suppose to be hand tighten only? I cut a new cork gasket two weeks ago and installed. It seemed to be working until I drove it today. Do I need to replace the cork with some other material? Thicker cork?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I have the same setup and had the same problem, but only if I ran the electric pump too long. Now that the electric pump quit, the problem is gone. Mine doesn't leak with the mechanical pump only. I tightened the bowl as tight as I could by finger. But I will be replacing the electric pump so I will be curious as to what can be used too.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The fuel sediment bowls do not take much pressure to leak, they are only supposed to be finger tight. I would maybe recommend a furl pressure regulator just after the electric pump, or go to a different filter type. If you go the pressure regulator route it should not harm you with the vapor lock as an electric pump is constant flow where a manual is surging constantly allowing pockets for vapor to collect.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Try a similar thickness gasket material and use your old cork gasket or glass bowl as a guide to cut out a new gasket. Ask a knowledgeable person at the parts house about something other than cork that is OK for gasoline. I broke my bowl once on my 61 Lark (my car when I was in college). It broke right before making a 650 mile trip, so I went out to a local junk yard that had 2 or 3 Larks, found a glass bowl (paid $1.50 for it) and then made a gasket as I described above and made the trip back home for the summer.

That same summer I gave the Lark (ohv six) a valve job and put new rings on the pistons because I used 16 quarts of motor oil driving that same 650 miles.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

This might sound silly, But I would just try another gasket. I have had brand new ones leak. And yes, only finger tight. Making them tighter only accomplishes one of two things. It still leaks, or you crack the bowl.

66 Commander R1 Clone
          51 Commander 4dr
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Do not overtighten the glass bowl. You can overtighten them by hand, with no tools. One night at work in the service station, I serviced my own car. When I left the station at 11:30 PM, I got about one-half mile before the glass bowl broke. I walked home. I put a new glass bowl on the the car the next day and never had this problem again with any Studebaker (in 48 years). I tend to remember things like this.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not to hijack this tread, but can someone lead me to supplier that still has the glass bowl and gasket for a Studebaker.
              My son needs one for his 1960 Lark V/8.
              I have tried SASCO & Stude International and my local NAPA store.
              If anyone has an supplier, or an extra one that will fit his car I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

George
              Grants Pass, Oregon
              64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
              George King
              Grants Pass, Oregon

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Thank you all,
                I will try a new gasket first.

Orestudeguy,
                The gasket is a simple circle of cork. If you can get a bowl it will be simple to make.
                That is on a 1953. I don't know about a 1960 Lark.

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

you might have better luck finding a neoprene o-ring that would fit.

Ken Pyle

Comment

I can help with the 1960 Lark V-8 fuel bowl. In looking for a wiper motor for someone else I came across a NOS 536939 fuel bowl and gasket. Price is $12.50 plus shipping.

I also have a few NOS neoprene fuel bowl gaskets 536940 that should fit all V-8's. They're $2.50 each plus shipping.

If interested drop me an email: dpson1954@comcast.net

Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                    1961 Lark Crusier
                    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

the V-8 Carter glass bowls are hard to find for some reason. I think I have one spare somewhere, but I might actually need it to put together a 56J fuel filter that I bought in the past (to steal the bowl off of.) I'm also pretty sure that I'm missing one of the springs that holds the "stone" in place, but haven't had a chance to track one down/ find a substitute yet.

One of these days I need to drag this stuff out, put it together, and put it on eBay piece by piece, but that would imply spare time.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Today I went to replace the gasket on the Commander that I installed two weeks ago.
                        When I got the gasket off it was very apparent that the cork is more porous than the old one.
                        The cork was wet with gas all through it.
                        How I need to find better cork material.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Contact Jon Myer..i purchased a complete glass filter assy for my '64 Avanti. No matter what I did the old one continued to leak, i believe the housing was warped...but more to the point installed the new one and just finger tightened...never leaked since..Remember Jon myer has these.

quote:Originally posted by Orestudeguy

Not to hijack this tread, but can someone lead me to supplier that still has the glass bowl and gasket for a Studebaker.
                          My son needs one for his 1960 Lark V/8.
                          I have tried SASCO & Stude International and my local NAPA store.
                          If anyone has an supplier, or an extra one that will fit his car I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

George
                          Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks, for the info. I will be in touch.

George
                            Grants Pass, Oregon

63 GT Hawk

George King
                            Grants Pass, Oregon

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Hey guys, don't spend a lot of money at your auto parts store for the bowls and gasket. Go to your local tractor supply store. Bought one there for near nothing. Many of the old tractors used the same setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X