Need dual point distributor for '63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need dual point distributor for '63 Avanti

Does anyone have a low mileage or NOS prestolite dual point distributor for a '63 R2 Avanti. I'd like one that doesn't need to be rebuilt. How much? Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I don't have any R2 distributors on the shelf right now, but I do have the new parts to rebuild yours if you have a good core. Bud

Comment

Thanks, but I don't have one. The original dual point prestolite in my car had been replaced by a single point. I can't even use a Petronix with it.

quote:Originally posted by Bud

I don't have any R2 distributors on the shelf right now, but I do have the new parts to rebuild yours if you have a good core. Bud
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

I'll check the parts cabinet, I should have enough parts to convert your single point distributor to an R2 dual point distributor. Bud

Comment

Thanks! I gave up and bought a Tbow electronic.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

You must be in a hurry. I thought you had already found a dual point or I would have traded you mine. I intend to go with an electronic ignition on my V-8.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice distributor but the advance curve is strictly R1, actually small block Chevy. Summit Racing has custom curve kits...cheap and easy.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Thanks! I gave up and bought a Tbow electronic.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

I was offered several Prestolite dual-point distributors, but all either had high-mileage, were rusted, and/or needed to be rebuilt. Plus my Studebaker "mentor" said all Prestolites were "weak" and worn out after 60K miles. And, yes, I am not a patient person. I'm often pennywise and pound foolish when trying to get something fixed. Thanks a lot anyway.

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

You must be in a hurry. I thought you had already found a dual point or I would have traded you mine. I intend to go with an electronic ignition on my V-8.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

The electronic distributor is so much better than the old point style. Faster start up, smoother idle and more accurate timing. Under the ignition shield who would know?

Be glad you're impatient.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

I've gotten good service from the Prestolite distributors. Once they are rebuilt using newer advance weights with bronze bushings, they actually work better than either the Delco window distributor which has so much shaft end play that the timing drifts considerably or the earlier Delco that has a sticky advance plate. The dual point Prestolite has adjustable end play and a ball bearing breaker plate which when lubed properly has almost no drag when moving. I have a distributor machine so I can see what happens when a distributor is operating. A properly rebuilt Prestolite distributor with a Pertronix unit is better than either of the Delco's in my opinion. Bud

Comment

Here is a link about distributors from last summer that might be of some interest:

I agree with Bud.

Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

There's a dual point on Ebay right now
                        <http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...240%3A1318>

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                        55 President State Sedan
                        70 Avanti (R3)
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Eventually I will have my R1 dual point available when I put the HEI
                          DL distributor in. I havent done it yet because I need to modify the
                          stainless steel to fit the larger diameter.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I've eliminated the distrigutor altogether! All new engines are being fitted with the Electromotive, direct fire crank triggered ignition. See my website for photos of the prototype development sequence. Must have access to a machine shop to fab some of the parts, other than that it's a bolt-in. The prototype has acumulated close to 15,000 miles with no problems.
                            Regards
                            Ken Michael website is www.studebakersonly.com

Comment

Working...
                            X