frame rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame rail

I have been under my 1961 hawk removing my gas tank and heater and noticed my frame rails are damaged on the bottom side meaing the frame box is damaged under the bottom in some areas, does this constitute frame damage, the frame is not broken into it's just rotten on the bottom from sitting on the ground can this be repaired or do I need to junk the car?

Studes forever!
    Studebakers forever!

No idea where in "USA" you're located, but here I have a fantastic "old-school" welding/fab guy who can fix literally anything- and really cheap prices!

I'd bet there's one in your area; hardest job may be to find him![B)]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I believe the bottom plate of the frame has a thinner gauge than the U-channel. I't's not uncommon to see the bottom of the rail bulging between the spot welds because rust is expanding between the bottom plate and the channel.

If you have a mig welder or the like, you can go to a sheet metal supplier and purchase .101 cold rolled steel in 4" sections to repair this. The nastier sections are where the rear leaf spring perch mounts to the frame, but it's all doable. Just drill out the spot welds and pull the piece off. A good Sawz-All is a handy tool to have also. If the inside of the channel isn't too damaged, I'd swab POR-15 on everything I could reach before welding it up.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I thought the same thing, that the bottom sheet metal on the frame rails was thinner. I see now after looking at it most of the night that the area was not weak and that I could weld to each side. after I repair these areas I want to put some encapcilator paint on it to preserve the frames. You are also correct about the rear spring perches I think I will get someone to look at and help with those as I don't have alot of experience with that, glad to know this is common with the hawks

Studes forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

I drilled out the welds on a 4 foot section and it included the spring perch. When I replaced the metal, I used 3/8" bolts and spot welded along the edges, where the spring mounts were. The rest of it was edge drilled and spot welded back in place.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Mike, I don't think a 61 Hawk would have the rocker boxes - they being all C-body cars.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X