• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with clutch pedal adjustment - '63 Avanti

It seems like the clutch doesnt fully disengage until awfully close
    to the floor. Granted, I am being spoiled driving my '04 GTO with a
    hydraulic clutch, but I just thought it was worth checking to see if
    there is any improvement to be made. The trans swap required a bit
    of a change in engine height at the rear mount under the bellhousing.
    It was flattened, and ajusted that way when the new clutch was put in.
    Now, with the rear of the engine up, I think thats effected the clutch
    pedal operation. I was reading the Avanti manual, but I am not too
    familar with the parts involved. I am about to go into the garage and
    start on this, so any help will be appreciated as to what to look for.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Tom,

I had a Lark come my way about a year ago. Part of the reason it came my way was that the PO couldn't cure the slop in the clutch. I was baffled at first myself, until I realized someone had used one under-sized pin in the coupling collar near the bellhousing. The size difference was only noticeable when a proper-sized pin was held next to the one I took out of the car.

Proper pin - righteous clutch operation![]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tom; be sure that you have the Avanti adjustment rod, not the shorter Lark one! It's a 1560969.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think it has all the right parts, I just think they are out of thier
        proper adjustment. Just the directions were a little confusing. I did
        not touch the clutch area when I put the TKO in, so I still do not
        have a familiarity with it.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have an M7003Z T5 in my Avanti with a reconditioned clutch setup and as I recall the clutch engagement is fairly close to the floor. I've put some 3500 miles on the car since installation and haven't revisited the clutch adjustment. I won't have the car out of storage for a couple more weeks to confirm that. I had to drop the trans rear some to provide some tunnel clearance. This car was an automatic until late in the restoration process, I got the urge to grind gears. As a result I don't have previous manual trans operation as a reference.

Comment

If the clutch worked well before the swap of the tranny, it should now. As the transmission doesn't effect the clutch movement, assuming the spline isn't sticking on the clutch disk hub. Did you happen to clean and lightly lubricate the input spine of the transmission?)

Aside from that, there can be slop where the pin is installed. And the bellcrank lever could be cracked and/or bending.

If all is well by inspection, and otherwise undisturbed, you should only have to remove the pedal return spring, disconnect the clevis and turn the end in (or out?) on the threaded rod a few turns. Then reassemble and try. You will know which way it needs to be turned by the increase or decrease in pedal play.

========================
            63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
            Martinez, CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

If the clutch worked well before the swap of the tranny, it should now. As the transmission doesn't effect the clutch movement, assuming the spline isn't sticking on the clutch disk hub. Did you happen to clean and lightly lubricate the input spine of the transmission
              Yes, I greased the shaft.[:I]

The only reason I felt the clutch adjustment was effected by the TKO
              install was the modification of the rear mount height.

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X