OverDrive parts compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OverDrive parts compatibility

Hey Mr. Biggs, et all, I have three OverDrive trannys here. There are two '56s and a '52. The '56s both have problems. The '52 doesn't (with the possible exception of no place to bolt the clutch linkage). I was wondering if I could swap the necessary parts out of the '52 tranny into the '56 tranny and be able to putt on down the road.

I ask this because I'm really lousy at tapping stuff and I can't seem to get my friend, who's good at it, to help me with it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

You should be able to swap all the parts A$$umming all three are the same base transmission. If they are different ie T-86 vs T-96 then there are some minor differences such as the adapter plate. My T-96 currently is running some parts out of a 53 Merc transmission such as the cluster gear. If you have parts books available that will help too. It sounds if you are unsure what is wrong with the two 56 transmissions, it may just be something simple like the governer is hung up or the solenoid isn't working. Hope this helps

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

The overdrives should all be R10 model (raised on side of case), the only Trans. that used the heavy Duty R11 Overdrive was the Heavy Duty T-85 3 speed and T-89 in Trucks with the removable SIDE cover.
      As said, they do not all bolt up because of the adapter.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

All three transmissions have, 'T86E-1A' on the case. Two of the three I know came out of a Commander configuration. No, there aren't any removable side panels. The original transmission out of Bess has bad syncros. The current transmission in Bess also has bad syncros and the OverDrive howls when engaged. It also leaks badly. The '52's transmission appears to be just fine. The only thing it lacks is the two bolt holes on the bottom of the case. Sadly, those bolt holes are necessary for the clutch.

What I'd really like to do; is rebuild Bess' original transmission with all new parts. Sadly, I haven't the resources to buy the parts. So, I'm trying to make do with what I have at hand.

Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Sounds like you already have everything you need.

Comment

Working...
          X