• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake booster rebuild kit?

for a '63 Wagonaire,where do I get one?

wagons ho!

quote:Originally posted by yorgatron

for a '63 Wagonaire,where do I get one?
    If you're talking about a disc brakes power booster, you are better off getting it professionally rebuilt. They are crimped together and special equipment is needed to properly disassemble/reassemble. I used to get mine rebuilt at a truck brakes supplier for a little over $100. I know several Studebaker vendors have them available on an exchange basis.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Be careful who you choose for rebuilding - there are some manglers out there. The booster is NOT crimped together, it is a twist lock that needs an old time shop with the tools for disassembly. The manglers bend the tabs, then use a chisel to set the tabs back in place - which in many cases will leave the tabs split or unrebuildable for a next time. I had one rebuilt by ABS brakes (a mangler), who claim to be the supplier for a popular Studebaker vendor.

The proper way for a rebuilder to disassemble this booster is simple, just the right tools: literally *wrenches* that fit on the studs at each end of the booster. Then the booster is put into a hydraulic press and a slight bit of pressure is applied to remove the tension from the middle, then the wrenches are turned about an inch and the two halves come apart. You can make the tools yourself and buy a rebuild kit if you have access to a press. The tools can be made from plates of steel maybe .25" x 6" x 18". At one end of each plate drill holes to match the bolt pattern of the studs at each end of the booster. Then drill another larger hole in the center of the bolt holes for the studs to allow the pushrods to pass through. To use: 1) slide one of the plates under the master cylinder and bolt the master cylinder back on, 2) bolt the other plate onto the backside of the booster, 3) take the booster to the press and turn it 90 degrees with the booster input rod pointed toward the ground and the bottom plate wedged against the side of the press, 4) apply a slight pressure against the master cylinder to release tension in the middle, 5) use a hammer to tap the top plate sideways and unlock the booster halves.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
      Packrat junk collector
      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

The big problem is getting someone to sell you the rebuild kit. The actual procedures are in the Shop Manual. You can look at the factory service tools (pictured in said Manual) and reverse engineer them from there. Or see your favorite Studebaker parts vendor.
        I've tried on several occasions to get rebuild parts directly from Bendix (I used to do quite a bit of work for the Brake Div. Engineering Garage). The Bendix part numbers I provided were obsolete and they had no updated numbers to cross them over to. Some body out in aftermarket land must be producing them but I've never looked into it that closely.

R2Andy
        R2Andrea

Comment

Instead of rebuilding one that has been rebuilt (insert number) times, and who knows if it was done right 10 rebuilds ago, why not buy a brand new unit from Studebaker International? Ed is having both disc brake and non disc brake hydrovacs remade. I'm not sure how soon he'll have them, but I think he does have a prototype.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Jim, doesn't the Wagonaire uses a vacuum booster - rather than a hydrovac? I am not aware of a reproduction of the Studebaker vacuum disc brake booster.

Andy, instead of trying to find a Studebaker vacuum booster rebuild kit, just ask for a same era Chrysler dual diaphram vacuum booster kit.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
            Packrat junk collector
            '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Thomas,if I remember correctly, the mounting bolt pattern is different and I didn't want to modify the bracket. I prefer to rebuild the OE parts rather than adapt something else when ever possible. And since I had the ear of the head of the Experimental Garage, I wanted to try and find a source of factory rebuild parts. That way other Stude owners would have an alternative to having to deal with the few facilities that were doing rebuilds.

R2Andy

I believe that Bendix called the booster the Mastervac.
              R2Andrea

Comment

Andy, re-read my previous reply, I'm talking about using the Chrysler rebuild kit to rebuild the Studebaker power booster. I'm not suggesting that the Chysler Bendix booster should be used on his car - JUST the rebuild kit. The REBUILD kit for a Chrysler Bendix dual diaphram power booster will fit the Studebaker Bendix power booster. They are the same inside, you are correct about the studs on the firewall side of the Chrysler version of the Bendix dual diaphram power booster being different than Studebaker.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                Packrat junk collector
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Thomas,
                  Sorry, I missed "kit" at the end of your sentence. But my problem remains, none of the rebuilders were willing to sell a kit, no matter what application I asked for. I haven't tried in the last few (ok, 15 or so)years, but they were anything but helpful then. I actually drove my '63 J8 (with discs) for almost a year (daily)with a non functional booster. I never had to worry about someone wanting to borrow it then.

R2Andy
                  R2Andrea

Comment

Thomas, can you provide the Chrysler part number for that rebuild kit? I would like to source a couple of kits. Chrysler would be a good place to start and a part # would help. GM also used a dual diaphram Bendix booster in '73 that looks similar to the Stude one. Their kit may be identical to Chrysler's. GM's overhaul instructions in their '73 manual is very detailed. I haven't checked with GM yet on availability.

Comment

One alternative is Booster Dewey's in Portland, OR. Top-notch quality. I've bought a few for my Lincolns and all have been perfect. For me it's preferable to send mine off to somebody that does them every day; YMMV. But I can highly recommend Dewey:

Power Brake Booster Exchange rebuilds vacuum brake boosters and supplies hard-to-find booster parts. Find out more about our services online today.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bill, there is no current Chrysler part number. I looked, I do have a kit on the shelf that I have had for one or two years - but there is no part number anywhere on the box. Check with your local power booster rebuilder to see if they will sell you just the kit, should be ~ $65. If you want, you can buy my spare kit for $65.

Upon review of Booster Dewey I'm going to recommend that you consider going this way instead. He charges a very reasonable $140 for the Studebaker dual diaphram.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                        Packrat junk collector
                        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I did an extensive web search yesterday and can find no one (in the rebuilding world) who mentions that they'll sell the kits themselves. But Booster Dewey does look to be a good candidate to have my next one done by. And I believe he has a 1 yr warranty.

R2Andy
                          R2Andrea

Comment

I had my Avanti booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey last January and I'm very happy with his work. The booster had been rebuilt by a local shop a couple of years ago and it failed in short order. Booster Dewey rebuilt it within a few days of him receiving it and charged my $150.00 including shipping for the rebuild. I understand that there is a spring inside of the booster that can cause serious injury if the booster isn't disassembled correctly. Bud

Comment

found a local rebuilder with a good reputation,he says he'll do it for $135
                              I like to rebuild all the things I can myself,if possible.
                              starters,generators,distributors,carburetors,engines,transmissions.
                              oh well,thanks anyway![8]

wagons ho!

Comment

Working...
                              X