Block deck height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block deck height

I haven't yet found a reference to the block deck height. Adding the 289 stroke, rod length, and 289 piston compression height, I come up with 10.0305". I think that 289 pistons were typically .030 in the hole. Total deck would be 10.0605".

Does anybody have an authoritative reference to the designed block deck height? Thanks in advance.

289 stroke 3 5/8"
    rod length 6.625"
    289 piston compression height 1.593"

For reference; head gasket thickness
    thick head gasket .045"
    thin head gasket .017"

Head thickness, valve cover surface to block surface 3.563"

Cutting the head .010" removes 1.5 cc

Best regards,

Paul
    Best regards,

Paul

A search of previous threads here will show the blueprint height is 10.065".

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack. I spent hours searching terms like 'deck height' 'gasket thickness' and similar. I never did find a reference to 'deck height' or similar terms.

What search terms would you have used?

Best regards,

Paul
      Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Wouldn't it be worth it to deck the block because wouldn't you gain more like 1.7 cc. I think 1.5 cc seems a little much from a .010 head cut. Wouldn't it be more like 1.2 cc? And wouldn't you want the piston flush with the top of the block for less combustion area? What would the compression ratio be with a flush piston, thin head gasket, and no head cut? I thought the best quench was acquired with less than .015 clearance between the piston and head, but it's been a while...

Comment

Actually, Paul, since you are often over on the Racing Studebaker site, I see the deck height info come up there and assumed you would search there first. It is more commonly discussed there than an SDC topic.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Buddy, When I brought my Ford 292 in to get decked, the machinist wanted a final deck height to cut to. In a way, he was right because the deck height of that Ford block was all over the place, so asking to take .020 off wouldn't make sense.

As you suggest, it was a matter of trying to get the minimum clearance between the piston and the cylinder head to help minimize spark knock and improve combustion efficiency. It's also a matter of finding piston compression height so that I get something like a zero deck. If possible, I'm going to aim for using the thin head gasket.

In my original post I put the key words that I usually use for searches and the corresponding data. Hopefully, other people will find the data using those key words. That's why I included the head cut to cc data and the other info.

Jack, I probably should have searched the Racing Studebaker site for the data.

Best regards,

Paul
            Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X