Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pump concern

Hello all,

Installed a reman AC fuel pump in my 6 cylinder Champion. The pivot pin moves to one side or another and leaks oil. Any ideas on what to do?
    I heard there was a kit to repair this from AC , but not sure on that.
    Thanks for the help.

Then and Now Auto Parts and others have Kits to Replace the failure parts like the Rubber Diaphragm, but not NOT wear on the the Main case like yours, just get another core to rebuild or exchange for rebuilt, or even New, if you can find one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have the same problem with mine, on a '56 289. My plan is to bore the casting and put a bit bigger pin in it.

Comment

• bensherb
        bensherb commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I did with mine on my '62 289. It didn't help for long, and just started leaking again. I removed the mechanical pump and just use my electric pump, I originally installed for priming, all the time. It's been working fine for 6-7 years now; not bad for a $7 fuel pump.

• yeroldad
        yeroldad commented
        Editing a comment
        Ben, if it didn't last for long, I'd say the hole wasn't round enough, or just not big enough pin. I've thought about going electric, but I'm a life long 'fixer' of things. I'm the guy who buys or is given broken stuff and fix them and enjoy my extra money. It's an addiction. Did you install a cutoff switch also?

• bensherb
        bensherb commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Scott, I have oil pressure and toggle switches. I'm like you. Everything I own was tossed out by someone and I salvaged and fixed it (except my 27 year old motorcycle, I bought it new). Including my entire "machine shop". I've never had any money. I bored and reamed the mech pump and used a dowel pin in it with light interference fit. I thought about o-ringing it but decided it was too much work. The Toyota replacement "HEP-02A" electric pump worked too well.

Originally posted by mrkstudebaker View Post
      Hello all,

Installed a reman AC fuel pump in my 6 cylinder Champion. The pivot pin moves to one side or another and leaks oil. Any ideas on what to do?
      I heard there was a kit to repair this from AC , but not sure on that.
      Thanks for the help.
      mrkstudebaker, I sent You a PM.

Comment

This is a new rebuild , I got from a Studebaker vendor. I was looking at my old pump yesterday and noticed around where the pins are their little notches that have been punched. But the pin on my new one moves and sticks out on one side more than the other And leaks oil.
        Not understanding why Oil would be Coming out at the pin. Like is it missing a seal.?

Comment

Because the hole the pin goes is worn out, out of round. It should be fitting tight, so that it doesn't move.

Comment

I read on a thread here that AC came up with a kit to address this problem. It involves brass cups on each end. Ever heard of this?
            The guy said on the thread he would provide a part number later ( cause he was not out in his shop at the time ) but I never saw a response from him.

Comment

• yeroldad
              yeroldad commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not heard of that. I can't see how brass cups would fit anywhere on a fuel pump, especially that would do any good.

The AC and the Airtex pumps I have used all leaked oil. I had success staking the pin in place on both sides with a blunt center punch. Then cleaning the area around the pin with brake clean or alcohol and putting a blob of good RTV (black or grey) over the pin and onto the housing.
            In the last 10 years or so on V-8 engines I have found Carter pump cores and rebuilt those.
            Steve.
            Studebaker driver since 1971
            59 Lark
            59 4X4
            62 E45
            64 E15
            64 E35

Comment

I bought a new pump from NAPA several years ago and it was an off shore look alike of the original Carter. I could readily see that the pin placement was going to become a problem sooner or later. Before installing it I roughed up the surface around the pin and applied a liberal amount of JB weld over the pin and surrounding area and let it set for 48 hours. To this day it has held firm and not one drop of oil has found its way through . That stuff may be a red neck repair but it is truly a miracle in a tube in a lot of cases.

Comment

Put me in the "votes for electric pump" column. The fuel itself has changed. Why should we expect the old-style pumps to handle it?
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I had some JB weld ,
                  so far no leak.
                  Thanks everyone for your input

Comment

I sealed the pin on a AC/Airtex pump 25 years ago with JB weld. It lasted about a year and the JB weld popped off. It was a used pump and the pin was a little loose. I staked the pin so it was tight cleaned the oil off put a blob of RTV on both sides and no leaks. Used that pump another 10 years and then replaced it with a rebuilt Carter pump. I think the failure of the First JB weld repair was caused by the loose pin. E. Davis I have been using JB weld since the late 70’s. I may be a redneck. Or maybe a CASO. JB weld makes many different products I have had good results with the tankweld also.
                    Studebaker driver since 1971
                    59 Lark
                    59 4X4
                    62 E45
                    64 E15
                    64 E35

Comment

I love JB Weld and use it "all the time"! It makes a great filler and bonding agent for ABS plastic, but doesn't work well on most other plastics. It also makes a good filler for small pits and the like on body solder (lead filler), aluminum and white metal (pot metal). I used it and an aluminum bar to reshape the mount of some '69-'70 Mustang/Torino "sport" mirrors (white metal) to make them fit the doors of my GT.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2026502

Comment

Working...
                      X