Very hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    Trailered the car t Kingman yesterday & Bud fixed me up perfectly! Leaned out the choke, changed the plugs, set timing to an additional 2 degrees advanced & put the factory wiring back on the + side of the coil.
    Warren, I wanted to mention again that, as I pointed out in post # 10, if you "put the factory wiring back on the + side of the coil" it sounds like you hooked the factory pink resistance wire back up. If so, that will provide less than the 12 volts that Pertronix says the module needs to work correctly.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

• Bud
      Bud commented
      Editing a comment
      I wired the Pertronix module correctly and the engine runs well with the ballast resistor connected. I do not believe that any 12 volt coil that has a 1.5 ohm primary resistance including the Pertronix coil should be used without a ballast resistor as without the resistor, the coil receives too much voltage causing the coil to draw excessive current that causes the coil to overheat and fail. Warren wired the Pertronix ignition according to the instructions and the engine would hardly run. I installed new plugs gapped at .035", readjusted the carburetor, set the timing correctly and now the engine runs like it should. Bud

• r1lark
      r1lark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bud, interesting thought and something to think abut for sure!

My truck will do the same thing except when it's COLD outside, and then I only use HALF the choke (it's manual). If I turn it off it will start right back up. But if I let it sit more than a minute it's a bear. I found on the Studebaker engine the choke needs to be almost completely closed. Once you DO restart it do you smell gas in the exhaust? YOU might want to make sure your "Idle Mixture" screw is set correctly. Sounds like you might be flooding when you try and start after stepping on the gas.

Comment

No flooding issue, especially after Bud did his magic. of course this car has the factory automatic choke. Should be making a good presentation for the Fun run!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Warren did you ever get round to checking & adjusting the valves?

Comment

Working...
        X