Tires for 50 Champion-modern vs. old style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for 50 Champion-modern vs. old style

Well, I have gotten such strong support of the idea of Radials that I will order a new set since mine are about 11 years old, even though of low milage. But recently driving the old ones, they feels like either the tires are over-pressured, or very hard on every bump. They feel like they are extremely stiff and almost not rubber.

I have no comparison but I'm wondering if this is what I can expect even with the new ones that have not been ordered as of yet. What do the bias ply tires feel like.

I intend to drive the car thousands of miles, combination highway, city and open road.

Any comments?

Jim

James Caspi
    1950 Champion Regal Deluxe-2 dr.
    New York, NY.

Jim: If you are still using the car's original 4-bolt wheels, please do not order a tire larger than P195/75R15, regardless of cost. On a 1950 Champion with those narrow wheels, even a P185 would be preferred.

Inspect the wheels carefully for hairline cracks starting around the lug nut holes. Make sure the wheel rims, on which the tire beads are fitted, have not been compromised by rust.

Those are not particularily strong wheels, and they will be more highly stressed with radial tires on them. Be on the lookout for replacements at swap meets, and pay attention to any irregularities you note as you drive the car. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

Maybe you will have saved my life.

This week I intend to have every wheel inspected carefully by me with a strong light on each lug hole. Yes, I am using the original wheels I think! I have had the car for 11 years and it never occurred to me to cehck these holes till some recent club dialogue. I have no idea if the last owner bought new wheels in 1978 when he restored the car.

I have had the radials I am about to replace for about 10 years and they are 205 75R15s, so I guess 10 years and maybe 5000 miles have been OK but I will not take chances at this point.

Are you suggesting I get someone's old wheels or can I buy some absolutely new ones with 4 holes that will be superior and safe. This might make everything easier and give me some piece of mind.

Jim

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Jim: If you are still using the car's original 4-bolt wheels, please do not order a tire larger than P195/75R15, regardless of cost. On a 1950 Champion with those narrow wheels, even a P185 would be preferred.

Inspect the wheels carefully for hairline cracks starting around the lug nut holes. Make sure the wheel rims, on which the tire beads are fitted, have not been compromised by rust.

Those are not particularily strong wheels, and they will be more highly stressed with radial tires on them. Be on the lookout for replacements at swap meets, and pay attention to any irregularities you note as you drive the car. BP
      James Caspi
      New York, NY.

Comment

Yes, brand-new ones would be nice, but it might be a challenge finding any. 'Never can tell.

But please do not put 205 tires on any '50 Champion; it's just too much tire and will put an unnecessary strain on those wheels.

Good luck finding some new ones, or very good used. 'Glad to hear you are having your existing ones inspected. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BP,

Much appreciated!! I will watch my back carefully now.

Jim

James Caspi
          New York, NY.

Comment

Bob Palma,

Look at my response on the tech pages related to "Champion on the road!" I explain what I found about the rims today. It is good news.

Jim

James Caspi
            New York, NY.

Comment

Working...
            X