Power steering fluid for '58 Packard Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power steering fluid for '58 Packard Hawk

Can someone tell me what to use for power steering fluid for my recently acquired '58 Packard Hawk? Thanks Howard
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

The same as all Studebakers: Type "F" (Ford) Auto Trans. Fluid by Valvoline (Preferred) or Dexron/Mercon by a good, known Brand.

You can use it in your Supercharger as well if you use Type "F".

Same as the Transmission:
    I like to drain the Converter and Pan on newly acquired Cars with unknown Fluids in them and buy enough about 24 to add later, keep a Quart or 2 in the Trunk so you know WHAT you have.

It is never a bad idea to Flush the Power Steering System and refill also, it's easy to pull the Return Hose at the Pump put it in a Large container and Pour Fresh in as you flush the Old out, Engine at slow idle.

This Fluid and method will work on ALL your Studes.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-28-2022, 10:33 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

ATF is what was spec’d when the cars were new, because there was no such thing as power steering fluid.

But power steering fluid also works just fine.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
        X