No announcement yet.

Under carriage : to treat or not to treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the first of my 3 truck restorations, I thought, "man I'm going frame off, make this thing cleaner and more spotless than it ever was to begin with so I can drive to "Good Guys" and make everyone hate me. I was young then, and while I did a really nice restoration of the truck that I loved, I WAS HAPPY with the results as they were - just a nice job.

Remember YOU are your own "audience." And this car is older than you are (I'm assuming) and it isn't going to develop leprosy out of a little surface rust or bare metal in one or two more years.

So, if it's running, I'd do what need to be done to make sure it's safe to drive and then DO THAT. I'm sure your1000 pounds of thoughts and desires are pulling at you right now, but that will all mellow out to a nice, levelheaded, PATIENT plan for what YOU want in the future.

Now I live in southern California and so we don't have to worry about salted roads, snow or ice (although occasionally I do have to chase a homeless person out from under the truck who is gnawing on my wiring). I tend to try to stop any rusting by taking it off and recoating the part, but usually only if I'm servicing it or rebuilding it anyway. I try not to ever remove that nice "road crud" coating protecting it in most places.

I did undercoat the under insides of my fenders with the spray can stuff (which worked very well) when I had to replace those due to rust out (which the 48-52 Ford trucks were notorious for) and replacement fenders cost me about $500 each. 15 years later there's not a spot of rust. Just a personal preference choice. I guess you know your conditions and concerns better than anyone else.

But # 1 piece of advice I can offer is to remember that this is supposed to be FUN. Have FUN with your new little gem and treat it like your mom - with love and respect!!

Comment

"So, if it's running, I'd do what need to be done to make sure it's safe to drive and then DO THAT. I'm sure your1000 pounds of thoughts and desires are pulling at you right now, but that will all mellow out to a nice, levelheaded, PATIENT plan for what YOU want in the future."

Yup, 1000 pounds of thoughts.... So I finally got some photos uploaded (I think). Thanks Big Dan, I shall treat her like Mom. First photo is the ten foot shot. Then a representation of the floor pans and the frame. Then the fourth is close up and shows one of a dozen or so rust spots from paint being assaulted in the garage for 15 years and then the second owners 38 years of "use." Shown is the worst of the dozen, not the typical salt induced rust at the fenders and rockers. For a New England car (Conn.) this rust is pretty tame, which is why I bought her. The oily areas underneath from minor leaks, grease shedding and the crankcase ventilation tube are in great shape as a previous post mentioned - sort of an Automatic Rust Prevention System. So, due to the advice of y'all, for now I will keep the oily areas oily and cleanup/treat the surface rust to preserve this girl without worrying about doing something "wrong." The body rust on the body will be touched up for2023 driving and may just show her as the work in progress that she is. A strip and paint is probably a year away. Brakes and shocks should be finished this week to make her safe. Wiring will be addressed too so she can be driven. Thanks again everyone! BTW the car is just a year older than me. But this is my first trip down this road with an old car. A little more of a fixer upper than I have tackled in the past. Enjoying every minute of it along with this forum's information and folks. Jack

Comment

Finally got the last 3 photos to upload from my phone. Going to attempt to clean upholstery stains. Lots of suggestions for cleaning online. The front seat rips will be covered for now allowing for a reasonable look of the original interior. Not for showing, just for driving and looking reasonably good and interesting. This upholstery cloth pattern and color does not seem to be available anymore, so keeping it for a while longer.... Jack

Comment

Believe it or not, one “cure” for water stains is more water & a more uniform drying.

Comment

Thanks, will try the simplest and safest first! Some say diluted white vinegar. Others say Woolite. And there' s more... but your suggestion is an easy first try. Jack

Comment

If the easiest way doesn't do it to your satisfaction, I've had really good luck with a rented carpet/upholstery cleaning machine! You can do the carpet at the same time!

Comment

Caution! Pardon the anecdotal story, but I think that it applies. I have a good friend who has owned his absolutely beautiful original 1941 Commander for decades, maybe 40-50 years. When I say original, I mean paint, interior and running gear. The car shows so well that it could pass for a 10-15yo restoration. Late last summer he took the car to a well respected upholstery cleaner, who is highly recommended by many antique car owners in the area. My friend told the gentleman that if he had any doubts regarding cleaning his original 80yo broadcloth interior to just leave it alone. The man said no problem, I've done it before. The upshot was that the cleaner proceeded using a steam cleaner, which removed all the knap from front seat.

Both my friend and the professional cleaner were devastated. The cleaner indicated that whatever it would take to make it right to go ahead and he would pay for it. The problem is that the owner is a stickler when it comes to this car and he wants original 1941 material. He franticly called me asking if I could help. I have some 41's and was able to help him some years ago when he broke a side glass and needed an original piece of glass, with the correct markings. I had to tell him that I wasn't sure and would not be able to get to the car until spring. Go slow don't let this happen to you!

As an aside SMS will have a close match to your upholstery, but to have the worn spots repaired I'm afraid that you might have to do the whole interior. From what I've been reading this is probably not what you want for your car. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Dan, for the advice and Hallabutt for the warning. Anecdotes should always be well noted and appreciated. I will do this myself, and will test a small area no matter what I try. I believe from my reading that these post war seats are nylon. So I am taking that into consideration if using more than just water and a hair dryer. Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X