Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: ‘50 champ rear axle

Hello all,
    Last year , I purchased a replacement axle for the passenger side of my champion whose notch for the woodruff key wasn’t tapered- will this cause any issue?
    the reason I ask is when I take a slow right turn I get a “ clunk noise” from that wheel. I recently measured the end play and it’s .005”. I plan on rechecking the end play again to be sure but wanted to make sure the axle wasn’t contributing to this. If not, any ideas on other things I can check to find what this noise might be? I’ve got new bushings on the leaf springs, ujoints and carrier bearings are new. Nothing loose in the trunk.
    thx,
    Jim

Jim, the repro axle shaft is fine. The key is there to prevent the axle from spinning inside the hub, it doesn’t control any potential lateral movement.

Do you have the axle nut torqued down tight enough? Were the axle bearings replaced?

Comment

I have it at 180 foot lb. but I’m going to take it apart and recheck everything again. Your idea is a good possibility.
      Last edited by Flthdchamp; 11-27-2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flthdchamp View Post
        I have it at 180 foot lb. but I’m going to take it apart and recheck everything again. Your idea is a good possibility.
        Make sure that the key is as far outboard (towards the axle nut/washer) as possible. It must not be too far inboard (towards the differential).
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thx Roy,. I left it protruding out and let the axle nut push it in. I think
          thats the correct way?

Comment

Originally posted by Flthdchamp View Post
            Thx Roy,. I left it protruding out and let the axle nut push it in. I think
            thats the correct way?
            Exactly correct!
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The frustrating part about this is I don’t hear the noise on every slow right turn I take. In fact it’s probably 1 or 2 out of every 10 turns. I don’t hear it in any other driving situations and it’s not a loud noise. Intermittent problems are the toughest to diagnose in my opinion.

Comment

I removed the hub, checked the end play passenger side. It had somehow gone out to .020! Obviously, I must have made a mistake somewhere, possibly measured wrong to begin with. I removed shims and reset it to .005. Torqued the hub to spec per manual but I am still getting a clunk noise from passenger rear when I make a right turn.
                I’ve checked under the car, nothing is loose, the hub is tight. Only the passenger side is shimmed. I’m not sure if incorrect end play could even cause a noise like this? I know the axles are supposed to have some lateral play but not enough to create a loud noise in my opinion. Before I tear the whole thing apart again I thought I’d seek advice.
                Thx,
                Jim
                Last edited by Flthdchamp; 02-21-2023, 06:06 AM.

Comment

might not be the axle or hub....U-joints, backlash in housing ??

Comment

U joints are all new. Backlash is something I hadn’t considered. Would that be something that would only occur on turns? Would the noise come from passenger rear? Or the housing itself?
                    This clunk noise is definitely coming from passenger rear wheel area and it’s still intermittent, not happening on every right turn
                    Last edited by Flthdchamp; 02-21-2023, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Don't just assume that's where the noise is from. I've seen loose stuff cause the same thing. everything from something rolling around the trunk (even the drop off on the side) to a loose shock and exhaust. strange.

Comment

I agree, and because it’s intermittent it makes me think it’s something along those lines.

Comment

So, today I emptied the trunk and went on a solo drive to see if the noise was still there- it disappeared. Then, I took a passenger with me, once in front passenger seat and next in back seat, still with an empty trunk. Both times , I heard a noise from right rear when I took a right turn. Again, it doesn’t happen every right turn, only intermittently . I don’t think it’s axle related anymore. I’ve checked body mounts, gas tank, rear springs - nothing loose. Any ideas?
                          Thx

Comment

I hate to mention this, since you have done so much work already on that Right Axle, TWICE.

But I am wondering how well your particular Axle KEY works/Fits with this New, Reproduced Axle with No taper?
                            What I am thinking is, there were TWO Styles of Keys, '47 to about 1956 used a Long Key, about '57 to '66 used a short one.
                            What I don't know, having never seen a Repro. Axle is, WHICH would fit it, and which did you use?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,
                              The key on the passenger side is the same length as the one on the driver’s side ( I did both axles) which is original and still has the taper. I’ve always suspected the repro axle but I’ve heard from many ppl that there is no issue with them, despite the lack of taper for the key.
                              it seems like weight, whether solely in the trunk ( spare tire, tools, jack,etc) and/or having a passenger in front or back is the deciding factor. The intermittent nature of it is the most frustrating part. I recently drove it 70 miles( mostly on highway ) and I heard it once. There are no other issues with the car, it’s very solid. If it was more constant I think I’d have an easier time resolving it, lol
                              thx for the suggestion,
                              Jim
                              Last edited by Flthdchamp; 02-27-2023, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X