Lock out overdrive wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Lock out overdrive wires

Same problem with the overdrive lockout switch I can’t tell which wire goes on which. Any advice? Thank you in advance

Doesn't matter. It's just a pass through switch. Goes open circuit when the plunger is depressed. It was eliminated in the 1955 model year.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Great news put my mind at ease thank you very much

Comment

Where is that switch on which Studebakers? I've never heard of a 'lockout switch'. I thought the cable locked it out. Thanks.
        I really would like to know more about that switch.
        Last edited by brngarage; 09-14-2022, 09:12 PM.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I recently noticed my lockout dangling down in my 54 sedan. The switch body broke off. Ordered one from SI, installed and test drove the car. The car wouldn’t kick down into OD- tried to test the solenoid using the wire at the relay- it was dead and wouldn’t actuate. Yesterday, I pulled it, wiped off 69 years of accumulated stuff, then tested directly on the battery- it worked. I then reinstalled it and went in a test drive. All is well now, and it worked like a champ- er- Commander! I’m a happy camper now!!
          Morris Van Horne
          1954 Commander

Comment

Howard the Switch is not called the "Lockout Switch", it is the "REVERSE Lockout Switch".

Not too many people drive 32 MPH in reverse, so it was eliminated !

It only locked out the Overdrive when shifted into Reverse. It was wired in line in the Solenoid Circuit to open it and prevent a Overdrive engagement.

Used on Postwar Cars '47-'54.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X