No announcement yet.

anybody running aluminum drum brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: anybody running aluminum drum brakes?

anybody running aluminum brake drums?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

? Like Buick?
    Those, a trunk mounted battery, and a belly pan, were a large part of a 50’s “how to” do an early C-K article that was reprinted in the Turning Wheel mebbe 30-ish years ago.

Comment

I am wondering if any of the places like Summitt offer aluminum brake drums drilled as you need them..?

Comment

What I would like to see is aluminum brake rotors with replaceable steel friction surfaces. Combine with aluminum calipers, and you might be able to have disc brake effectiveness with less unsprung weight than stock drums.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

So a disc brake conversion weighs more than the stock drums?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
            So a disc brake conversion weighs more than the stock drums?
            The after-market ones using the big vented rotors? Definitely.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what you choose to do. A basic solid rotor and smallish caliper might weigh less. The main advantage is the ease of service and better braking performance.

Comment

Tom: Here's a kit to put aluminum drums on old Ford spindles:

I have original Buick 12" aluminum drums on my Indy car. I should go weigh one, as they are not really light.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  I am wondering if any of the places like Summitt offer aluminum brake drums drilled as you need them..?
                  There's drum diameter, friction surface width, spindle offset, bearing set, shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses and associated small parts to be considered, so short answer "no".

What I would like to see is aluminum brake rotors with replaceable steel friction surfaces. Combine with aluminum calipers, and you might be able to have disc brake effectiveness with less unsprung weight than stock drums.
                  The aluminum calipers have long been available and the more expensive aftermarket rotors have aluminum centers with bolt on iron rotors; steel is not a good friction wearing surface.

For cost-no-object-CASOs-need-not-apply, there are carbon fiber ceramic matrix rotors which are amazingly light; only about $1,000 and up each.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Running a 60-70 year old suspension design with steel wheels and a solid axle with leaf springs makes worrying about the unsprung weight of your brakes a idea to play with rather than a noticeable improvement to your ride, handling, or performance.

Comment

Unsprung weight makes a huge difference in how your car handles. Modern steel belted radials are much heavier than 6.70X15 bias tires, as are the rims needed to safely carry them. You put those on your Studebaker, and then add 12" ventilated cast iron rotors and the heavy cast iron calipers, and now your poor springs and shocks are trying to control about twice the weight they were designed to do. Of course, your ride quality is going to suffer.

Comment

So nobody except Gary Ash is running any aluminum drums? If I could pull off my old drums and slide on a new aluminum one I could maybe save 5# per wheel? That is noticeable to me. I'll call Summit and see what they offer.

Comment

Yes, Summit has aluminum brake drums, but only in 9.5" diameter with 4.75" bolt circle. As I mentioned above, it ain't that simple as re-drilling the bolt pattern. Center hole, offset, shoe width, adjuster holes, all have to fit.

Free Shipping - Cardone New Brake Drums with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Brake Drums at Summit Racing.

Did we ever weigh the Studebaker OEM disc brake components and the OEM drum components and compare the two? IIRC, the disc setup was at least the 5# lighter you're looking for.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Did you ever weigh the Borranis and adaptors?

Comment

Tom:
                              Here are some weights on the Indy car:
                              Brake backing plates and shoes: 12 lbs
                              Hub: 8 lbs
                              Aluminum brake drum: 18 lbs
                              Wire wheel, 18" x 4" rim: 20 lbs
                              Tire: 6.00/6.50-18: 20 lbs
                              Spinner: 3 lbs

Total is 81 lbs on the front spindle and knuckle. However, I'm probably way ahead of what was originally on the 1929 President axle. It had 15" drums with 3-shoe rod-operated brakes, wood wheels, and huge rims and tires. The front axle with spindles weighs 92 lbs and each front leaf spring weighs 22 lbs. Rear axle is 175 lbs, 32 lb springs, 24 lb 7.00-18 tires. I only counted half the leaf spring weight as unsprung. With 2 passengers and 10 gallons of gas, I estimated the total weight to be 2700 lbs with 640 lbs of it unsprung. I wonder how that compares to a 1960's Studebaker and a modern car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1929 brake drum wheel.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	1905482
                              Wood wheel with steel hub, brakes, tire, and 15" brake drums from 1929 Studebaker President.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Riviera 90-fin drum and splined hub.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	1905483
                              Aluminum 90-fin drum from ca. 1967 Buick Riviera with steel splined hub for wire wheels.
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard
                              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
                              X