Leaking Bendix power steering control valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Leaking Bendix power steering control valve

Trying to bring back a car that sat for over twenty years ain't easy for me. The current issue is a leaky control valve, I purchased and installed a rebuild kit, followed a decent YouTube video on how to do it as well as reading the instructions. Finally fired the car up after refurbishing the fuel system and the power steering works great except for the leak around the boot.
    I pulled it off and looked it over but.....what could it be that I missed in the rebuild? I would have guessed that the power steering fluid stays in the cast iron housing and none would migrate to the ball stud area. I was wrong.
    When I disassembled it (because it was leaking) the internals were all nice and...well not clean but well oiled from the leak, I guess, no rust at all which is evidently a problem in some cases.
    On another forum I received this in response to my query

"If found a guy on e-bay who sold “quad” seals for each end of the spool and my leaks were solved. If you ever watch that car show from England, the tall guy Ed China, repaired a 55-56 T-bird on the car by changing to the quad seals. Mine has not leaked in 9 years now. The guy was in central California I’ll look and see if I kept any info."

It is evidently a common malady. I've searched for "quad seals" with no good result.

any ideas???
    Thanks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.JPEG
Views:	1092
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1903511

When you reassembled, did you make sure the lips on the spool seals faced each other?
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Did you inspect the lands inside the spool valve housing? if they are pitted or worn its gonna leak. i use a bit of 3M scotch brite pad on a split rod and chucked in a drill to clean it up. i also chuck the spool valve in a drill press and polish it up. Luck Doofus

Comment

My daughter has a '66 Mustang and my son has a 63 1/2 Galaxie. They have power steering . The same as a Studebaker. They do not leak--at all. When you put this same system in a Studebaker, it leaks. my 61 an 64 leak. the 64 has been rebuilt --twice and it leaks. What Doofus says seems to be wise. Anyone ever used a cylinder hone?

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
          Did you inspect the lands inside the spool valve housing? if they are pitted or worn its gonna leak. i use a bit of 3M scotch brite pad on a split rod and chucked in a drill to clean it up. i also chuck the spool valve in a drill press and polish it up. Luck Doofus
          I am not familiar with the term "lands inside the ....housing", do you just mean the surface inside the housing where the spool valve slides?

To be honest I didn't do a close inspection, just a good cleaning. What I had read was that many had rust and corrosion in them which in turn creates "no" seal. This was (to my failing eyes) not a problem because everything was well oiled during disassembly. The vehicle had been in dry storage on concrete since 1997. I will probably end up buying another kit and use magnifying lens to fully inspect the interior. I was just sure that new seals would resolve the problem. The ram with new seals doesn't leak at all.

My hope was that someone on this forum would be able to ID the whereabouts of the "quad seal" so I could purchase them.

Comment

The "lip" of the seals should face inwards towards the center of the valve. Make sure it's the correct kit you are getting. The valve you have looks to be a non Stude valve. They don't have the cage, and rubber pitman ball stud seal but have a sponge rubber with a hole in it. The valve sizes are different between a Stude, and a Ford valve. Stude seals will not work on a Ford valve, and visa-versa. Also, make sure it's not a hose leaking onto the area looking like a leak where it isn't. I do notice the hose seats in the picture you show are deeply grooved. They do come out, and you can dress them with a file on a drill press and a spindle. then press them back in. Under the largest fitting seat ,( return hose) , Is a screw in valve that often gets overlooked and has dirt in it. That alone is reason to remove the seats and do a through cleaning.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              The "lip" of the seals should face inwards towards the center of the valve. Make sure it's the correct kit you are getting. The valve you have looks to be a non Stude valve. They don't have the cage, and rubber pitman ball stud seal but have a sponge rubber with a hole in it. The valve sizes are different between a Stude, and a Ford valve. Stude seals will not work on a Ford valve, and visa-versa. Also, make sure it's not a hose leaking onto the area looking like a leak where it isn't. I do notice the hose seats in the picture you show are deeply grooved. They do come out, and you can dress them with a file on a drill press and a spindle. then press them back in. Under the largest fitting seat ,( return hose) , Is a screw in valve that often gets overlooked and has dirt in it. That alone is reason to remove the seats and do a through cleaning.
              You were correct, it isn't a Studebaker valve, the fittings were all dry as the desert, it looked a lot different than when I started, there was so much grunge on the assembly that I had to chip the dirt and grease off. Since the car has been in my wife's family since new (1964) I am sure none of the components were changed. Can I assume that the leak emanates from the seal that faces the ball stud??

Comment

No, there is no fluid there IF the shuttle valve seals are holding. The ball stud seal is only for the grease.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  No, there is no fluid there IF the shuttle valve seals are holding. The ball stud seal is only for the grease.
                  I'll restate*** as my statement may not have been clear, the fluid leaks past the seal on the spool into the cavity in the sleeve/ball stud. I assume your reference to the shuttle valve is what I call the spool.

Comment

Are all the parts there? You have to have the steel spacer ring behind each seal, as well as the stop washer, and the rubber cushions. If they are missing then the seals will just blow out on the ends.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

all of the parts are in the correct sequence with no evidence of seal "blow out". The one error I made was not polishing the sealing area prior to reassembly, following are pictures of before and after I polished with 2000 grit paper.
                      On another forum a participant shared his experience of failure in getting a good seal and ultimately got a "quad seal" from a vendor in California and this was in 2014. He was able to find the name (well the initials) and the return address of the vendor. I went to Google maps and found that now it is an electrical repair facility, I called them and they remembered the company and referred me to them. I called them and it turned out it was a person that they shared/rented space to, They had an acrimonious parting of ways. I am now going to attempt to find a quad seal or Xseal from McMaster Carr.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.JPEG
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	1903845 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.JPEG
Views:	713
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1903846
                      Last edited by 1953champcoupe; 07-19-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

The outside larger diameter of the valve is inconsequential. The seals run on the smaller ends. They do not see any metal against metal.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

I have rebuilt several and they do not leak. As has been mentioned, all parts need to be assembled correctly with the lips of the seals facing each other. If you have a leak after this, your cylinder must be way oversize or very badly pitted, in order to leak.

The only other source of leaks are the seats for the various hoses. They can be removed and dressed and/or replaced with new. IIRC, the Ford uses different size seats than Stude, so hoses could be problematic.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Here is a link to Bob Jonhstones Studebaker site. It is more comprehensive than we may be able to get parts for, but will give a good idea of what needs to be done and the various pieces and how they fit.

78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Looks like most of the parts are still available from cjponyparts.com.
                              78 Avanti RQB 2792
                              64 Avanti R1 R5408
                              63 Avanti R1 R4551
                              63 Avanti R1 R2281
                              62 GT Hawk V15949
                              56 GH 6032504
                              56 GH 6032588
                              55 Speedster 7160047
                              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                              X