Hood Prop Rod Clip 1955 E7 Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Hood Prop Rod Clip 1955 E7 Truck

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the prop rod clip on a 1955 E7. The clip shown in the owners manual doesn't seem to be the same one I ordered from a Studebaker vendor although the part number is accurate. It appears the clip somehow attaches in proximity to the hood lock safety hook. Intuitively it seems the rod would swing from the hole in the underside of the hood to the retaining clip near the hood lock safety hook, however, there doesn't appear to be a hole to accommodate the retaining clip. I've looked a various threads on prop clips but all seem to deal with sedans not trucks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am not near my truck right now to go test installation procedures, so this is from memory. The little clip in your photo is the correct one, and stays attached to the rod. The little lip hangs onto the same hole that the rod goes through. The "prop rod clip" in the owner's manual picture is permanently attached to the hood. Can't remember if it's welded or just attached with screws or bolts.

Can't remember, but I think you insert both the rod and the clip though through the hole in the hood lip, and then put the clip on the rod.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip. If you could provide a photo or additional details I would appreciate it. It’s still baffling me! Thanks again.

Comment

Won't be able to take any pix till next week. Is the clip that holds the lower end of the rod in place when not in use missing? Or are you having trouble attaching the clip in your picture to the upper end?
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip. When I bought the truck the prop rod was behind the seat in the cab. There were no retaining clips under the hood. Frankly, I'm not even sure I have the correct prop rod. I bought two clips from Stephen Allen's one of which is shown in the photo. I'm not clear on where the clips mount or how they mount. I don't see a hole where a clip could mount to hold the lower end of the rod. If there was a hole it may have been filled in during restoration, wouldn't be the first one that was filled by mistake. I really appreciate your help and any support you can provide. No hurry, it's almost 70 years old and isn't going anywhere anytime soon! Thanks again.

Comment

It's entirely possible that you have the wrong prop rod. Studebaker changed the rod design at some time during the 2R series. I do not know the differences between the two rods, though there's no reason that the wrong one wouldn't work, since both rod designs were used with the same 2R hood. I suspect the change was made to make the rod more vertical when in the "up" position, but would have to compare both hood/rod combinations to be sure. The 3R truck hoods were changed in some fashion, but I think it was just to add a new hole in the hood flange for the later prop design. (Perhaps the subject of a future monograph . . . . .)

The 3R/E-series rod has a slight S shape on the upper end, and the bottom end has a lower-case t shape to match the hole in the radiator mount. There's only one hole in the radiator mount that the rod will logically fit into.

The hood prop clip in the owner's manual picture is just a piece of sheet metal that is permanently attached to the underside of the hood flange, close to the driver's side edge. You push the rod between it and the hood underside. If it is missing, there should be a hole there for rivet or bolt.
            Last edited by Skip Lackie; 05-05-2021, 12:11 PM.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X