Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring 1963 GT Hawk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electrical: Wiring 1963 GT Hawk

    What kind of wiring mishap would lead to my left turn signal coming on constant when I turn my instrument lights switch on?

  • #2
    You crossed the Bulb Sockets for the Left Turn Signal and the Speedometer Instrument Lighting Bulb Socket.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      What do you mean by "crossed"? I certainly didn't remove anything and put it back wrong. Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Someone plugged the Turn Signal Bulb Socket into the Hole for the Instrument Light and vice versa! That would be "crossed' in my book.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #5
          That would make total sense if it actually happened! As always I appreciate the input.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm presuming you mean the green dash indicator for left turn signal? If it flashes with turn signal, but illuminates steady when parking lights are on, it's usually due to the front park/turn signal not being grounded.
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post
              I'm presuming you mean the green dash indicator for left turn signal? If it flashes with turn signal, but illuminates steady when parking lights are on, it's usually due to the front park/turn signal not being grounded.
              Yes but it illuminates when the instrument panel light switch is turned on, not the parking lights.

              Comment


              • #8
                If your Instrument Lights and Instrument Light Switch are properly wired they connect to the Headlight Switch Terminal that is Hot whenever Either the Parking OR Headlights are on ONLY, that is where the Tail Lights are also connected.

                So NO instrument lighting without either Parking or Head Lights.
                That makes me wonder just HOW original and correct IS this Hawk?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Geohawk63 Gotcha. I'm a bit stumped without more symptoms. If it was a bad ground up front, the turn signal indicator would illuminate steady when park lamps are on, independent of panel lights; it would probably flash with turn signal, but the parking light element up front would flash instead of the brighter one.

                  So, does the indicator dim with your panel lights? Does it flash with turn signals, and are turn signals working normally?
                  Whirling dervish of misinformation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    If your Instrument Lights and Instrument Light Switch are properly wired they connect to the Headlight Switch Terminal that is Hot whenever Either the Parking OR Headlights are on ONLY, that is where the Tail Lights are also connected.

                    So NO instrument lighting without either Parking or Head Lights.
                    That makes me wonder just HOW original and correct IS this Hawk?
                    Yes that is how it is all wired. So strange but it has fixed itself now!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Very likely a loose, poor Ground on a Light; Tail Light, Parking or Dash Turn Indicator Lights, it WILL be back!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Very likely a loose, poor Ground on a Light; Tail Light, Parking or Dash Turn Indicator Lights, it WILL be back!
                        Haha you bet it will!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X