Fuel gauge for 1955 E7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel gauge for 1955 E7

I have a 1955 E7 that has been converted to 12 volt. The voltage is stepped down to the original 6 volt gauges with a reducer. The fuel gauge is not working and needs replaced. Instead of replacing the 6 volt gauge I’d like to install a 12 volt gauge. Is a 1956 or later C Cab fuel gauge, 12 volt, interchangeable in the 1955 cluster? Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is. The major Studebaker vendors have it available NOS. Also, I believe you will need to change the sender in the tank to a 12v unit.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

$80.00-$90.00 depending on where you buy, plus shipping/insurance.

Bo
        Bo

Comment

Thanks for the information. I ordered a '56 gas gauge and 12 volt sending unit today. I decided I would also trade out the wiper motor so I would be completed 12 volt. Does the wiper switch on the center of the dash need to be changed in moving from 6 volt to 12 volt?

Comment

No, the Switch will be fine, a Switch is a switch!
            When the Battery was switched from Positive Ground 6V to Negative Ground 12V, the "Hot" Wire from the Ign. Switch to the Wiper Switch became (+).
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Somewhere I heard "a switch doesn't know power" but I wanted a second opinion. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X