Third brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Sorry I don't have any pics readily available, but they were quite visible.
    I used those lights on a motorcycle hauler I made to go into my hitch reciever. I got them at Harbor Frieght on sale for $10, I actually bought two sets at that price "just in case".
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20170728_201950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	1889931

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

Ok, the use of initials for things is a milenial thing where they assume everybody knows what the initials refer to; but I'll bite. What is a "CHMSL" and a "FMVSS 108" ? As for the seperation of the brake and turn signals when using the same single bulb; that is why I mentioned it above, you need to add a simple logic circuit to seperate the two signals. Here, a flashing light is fine as long as its a "Warning" light. I've seen many modern cars with flashing third brake lights here. As mine , they flash quickly several times then go solid. This all happens in 2 to 3 seconds.
      Fair enough. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 covers the regulatory requirements for vehicle lighting, signaling, reflective devices, etc. and first went into effect January 1st, 1968. I hate acronyms too, but they're sometimes hard to avoid when referencing stuff written by agencies that seem to go out of their way to come up with abbreviations for everything as well as silly ways to pronounce these new "words". One thing that is clearly stated is that braking is signaled by a steady burning red light (amber is/was accepted as well on some older cars), somewhere around 10x brighter than a red tail light. That standard is recognized around the world, and means the same thing to all drivers. Still, the suckiest part of the deal is having to share the road with those few "drivers" who look everywhere but through the windshield when they're underway... and a glowing baboon's butt in your back window probably won't grab their attention, strobing or not.
      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post

I hate acronyms too, but they're sometimes hard to avoid when referencing stuff written by agencies that seem to go out of their way to come up with abbreviations for everything as well as silly ways to pronounce these new "words".
        I don't like acronyms either, unless they're very common ones that everyone knows. I was taught in high school English class to (initially) write out the words and define the acronym (e.g., ------center high-mounted stop light (CHMSL) .....), before using the acronym. But, I see a trend in newspapers & other sources to not do this. The acronym will be in the title and one has to read part of the article to find the words written out. Sometimes not even that.
        -Dwight

Comment

I HATE those flashing center brake lights. If you are in heavy bumper to bumper traffic in twilight or dark conditions with numerous cars with those things, you've got dozens of intense fast blinking flashing BRIGHT lights assaulting your eyeballs in front of you. Its total eyestrain for me. I've hated driving at night for decades due to glaring oncoming headlights (and those blue-white ones on some newer cars even more) and now the flashing stop lights. I sort of avoided that the past year since I have been working from home most of the time so no commuting in the dark in the winter but that is going away coming next fall.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I use hand signals. It amuses the older drivers and confuses the younger ones. Drives the wife nuts (another reason to do it). Either way, it gets their attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianbo View Post
              I use hand signals. It amuses the older drivers and confuses the younger ones. Drives the wife nuts (another reason to do it). Either way, it gets their attention.
              Nowadays, you should be careful doing right turn arm signals, they'll think you are signalling "Something Else" .
              You could get Shot!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Nowadays, you should be careful doing right turn arm signals, they'll think you are signalling "Something Else" .
                You could get Shot!

Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Nowadays, you should be careful doing right turn arm signals, they'll think you are signaling "Something Else" .
                  You could get Shot!
                  Even in the early 80s a lot of people did not know about hand signals. I had a 51 Dodge pickup with no signal lights and, every time I signaled for a right turn into my driveway, people would wave. I installed turn signals.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

OK, it's here! Now what do I need for just brake lights? Sure, white and black, I guess red too? What does green do? Lamp width????
                    48" LED Car Truck Tailgate 3 Row Light Bar Strip Reverse Brake Signal Tail Lamp. 2X DRL LED Light Bar Brake Flowing Turn Signal Stop Tail Strip Sequential Truck. 2X Red 15 LED Truck Trailer Strip DRL Stop Brake Tail Lights Rear Turn Light Bar.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Anyone? Who can decypher?
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                        Anyone? Who can decypher?
                        It didn't come with instructions? Or, are the instructions in Chinese?
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

It didn't come with instructions? Or, are the instructions in Chinese?
                          Nuttin'! Just this chart...
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Best as I can tell from a different listing, "G"is a running light, full width, left and right signals are obvious, red is positive, and despite the chart, black is not positive as well, but ground. I'm going for it.
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

I finally spent some time trying to figure out the wiring, and I am stumped. The seller sent decent instructions... except on the Studebaker end, I don't know what to do after looking at the wiring diagram.Remember, this is a '63 Champ, but even cars may have this same confusion. At the multiple connector to the rear of the truck: Wires 5 and 5A are for tail lights, 28 and 29 ( both green, dang it) are turn signals and 6 is the gas gauge. Where is the brake light wire? I know, it's tied in with the turn signal wires.

The tail light controller that goes with the new light has power (R), ground (B), brake(W), R&L turn signal wires ( both yellow, dang it!) and green for a weird running light that I won't use.

I mostly want the brake light, so the white brake wire to the connector goes to.........what or which ones on the truck? There is nothing listed for brake lights, yet I know that this is tied in with the turn signals.

So how do I hook this up for brakes? And if I decide on the turn signals (they go from far right to far left or far left to far right, which may be confusing), how do hook them up?
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

The turn signal wires and the brake light wires are the same wires at the lights. They change function from brake light to turn signal within the turn signal switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X