Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to build / add a 4 Way Hazard Flasher Circuit to my car, I need a schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: I want to build / add a 4 Way Hazard Flasher Circuit to my car, I need a schematic

I want to build a 4 Way Hazard Circuit to add to 50's / 60's era cars , that have no OEM provisions for such a circuit.
    So I'd like to acquire a schematic, so I can build the circuit.
    Does anyone have such a schematic? And, has anyone here on the Forum added a 4 Way Hazard Flasher circuit, and if so, how did you do it?
    Thanks
    John

I found one at a swap meet in the Box and I installed in the Champ , Look on ebay , They are out there , Ed

Comment

I have done it on several vehicles, but just wired it according to the diagram that came with the kit. They usually had two different diagrams: one for older vehicles (like trucks) that had 4 separate signal lamps, and another where the brake lights were also used for the signals. They all had their own flasher, and did not use the flasher that came with the directional signals.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The 1966 Shop Manual Supplement has a wiring diagram for Flarestat installation.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 03-02-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
          I found one at a swap meet in the Box and I installed in the Champ , Look on ebay , They are out there , Ed
          I found the flasher kit, but it didn't have any instruction sheet in it. The Studebaker Museum gets a $12 fee for each instruction sheet/template from the SDC Template Collection, so I need to look online. The Studebaker flasher kit seems to be just an aftermarket kit packed in a Studebaker box.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes it probably is aftermarket Flarestat. The Studes had a plain red knob but others that are out there and usually have Flarestat 105 on the knob. The Stude ones also have the tabs required to tie in to the column wiring without cutting any wires. If I were near my parts I'd photocopy the wiring connections from a Champ kit I have. I know I sent one to Lark/Truck some time ago and he may still have it handy.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

I wired in a system back in 1970 when I was I Germany in the service on a VW bug. A bunch of guy's I was stationed with helped me rebuild a 56 VW bug when we where in the army. Re-wired the whole car just by using a motors manual. Don't remember what all was involved in the flasher system but I remember we ran an extra wire to each light that ran though a second flasher and was connected with a toggle switch.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

I found the flasher kit, but it didn't have any instruction sheet in it. The Studebaker Museum gets a $12 fee for each instruction sheet/template from the SDC Template Collection, so I need to look online. The Studebaker flasher kit seems to be just an aftermarket kit packed in a Studebaker box.
                Supporting the the Studebaker Museum keeps them in business and preserves information and displays for all to enjoy for years to come! $12 is a whole lot less than a shop would charge to install it correctly. Good Luck!
                1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  The 1966 Shop Manual Supplement has a wiring diagram for Flarestat installation.

Craig
                  Ah-hah! Thanks Craig . You and I were apparently typing a reply at the same time. Thanks for posting the wiring diagram!
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Bill Foy
                    1000 Islands, Ontario
                    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Captain Billy That kind of looks like how as I can remember the VW system we built. It was 51 years ago so give or take close. We didn't use relays just wired to each side on turn signals and had a hot wire with the toggle switch to the flasher. When you flipped the switch it powered the flasher and it flashed on both sides. Worked great and I think had the only 56 VW with 4 way flashers.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. This information is what I was wanting.
                        John

Comment

Or you can power a switch with a fuse, and run the switched side to the turn signal wires through 2 diodes.
                          (one to the left side, and one to the right)
                          That way the normal turn signal power wont power the circuit when the 4-way is not in use. simple.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Brad, I really like that. I like simple.
                            Thanks
                            John

Comment

Jlb the simple system is called the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid. A good friend of mine who built street rods that was his favorite saying. Any time I help him on a project he would be going kiss,kiss.

Comment

Working...
                              X