Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Hawk GT-Need to replace P.S hoses-which ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Hawk GT-Need to replace P.S hoses-which ??

Yesterday, my mechanic friend rebuilt the M.C. and noticed the power steering hoses
    needed replacement. He said I needed the "Valve to Ram' hoses. I need help inidentifing
    what to order. My manual is not currently available to get a part number but I doubt they would list them so I recognise the correct ones. They loop down next to the M.C as shown in the photo. You can see where the right hose is breaking.
    Thanks for the help.
    ...Dick Curtis

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

If they havent been done, then replace them ALL. Once you get into it
    its best to start fresh. I made a couple how-to threads on the basic
    system, they might help. I would suggest taking routing pictures. One
    of the hoses was not useable, and had to be rebent.

Is the control valve leaking? Might be time to reseal that too.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks Tom,
      The other PS hoses were replaced in 02 and look good. At $48.00 each, I'd rather only replace the worn/damaged ones shown in photo--but don't know their part number.
      Good to hear from you-we should get together in 09.
      Greg White, you met him when we went to lunch, lost his barn in the Tea Fire. Both the Avanti and 50 Business coupe were destroyed along with all his tools and Studebaker history stuff.
      ....Dick
      Santa Barbara
      CA

Comment

OMG .. Thats terrible news.

Both cars were a total loss?? The 50 Coupe, was that yours?

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

According to my Studebaker International catalog, those two would be
          the "Right" and "Left" turn hoses, since they go to the Ram. The part
          numbers for a '63 GT Hawk, "C" and "D" in the illustration would be:

1551342 61-63 Hawk @ $44.65 (right turn hose)
          1551343 61-63 Hawk @ $44.65 (left turn hose)

Page 174 of the 2008 SI catalog.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
            No, the Business coupe was Greg's. My 50 is a Starlight Coupe. We were evacuated
            since the fire was threatening the Riviera and fled to my son's house in Santa Ynez.
            I moved the Hawk out to the street and left the keys in it .Thought was I'd rather have it stolen and survive than destroyed. When we were allowed to return two days later, it was still there. The S.B. police and fire did a great job of patrolling. Not one case of looting reported.
            Greg will rebuild his car barn and then start looking for Studebaker replacements. The shame is he spent three years refinishing the Avanti to show level. Bummer!!!
            Thnks for the help in locating hoses-I'll order today.
            ...Dick Curtis
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

If he is looking for another Avanti I know of an '80 on the Riveria.
              I am assuming there is nothing left of his?

Tom

Comment

That 80 Avanti , I may have looked at a two years ago if it is on Olive Street.
                Nothing left of Greg's Avanti. A puddle of fiberglas and metal. Garage burned completly
                but his house is OK. since it was separated by twenty or more feet. I don't think he plans on acquiring Studebakers until the new garage is finished. Will be as big as county permits allow. At least three cars and height for a lift. His 50 Studebaker pickup truck (SR5?) survived albeit slightly scorched paint because it was out in the driveway.
                ....Dick
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Nope, its not on Olive. Sorry to hear about his loss.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X