Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Person Brake flush and bleeding - free!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: One Person Brake flush and bleeding - free!

Apologies in advance if this is a repeat.
    I searched the Forum for a method for one person brake bleeding.
    I thought I knew what to do but wanted a refresher.
    My 1955 President Coupe has been inactive for 2 or more years. No brakes! Found Master cylinder was dry.
    Checked for leaks all wheels. No leaks! Whew!
    I also found this excellent video on line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc
    He uses a home made bleeder bottle (made from a drinking water bottle) and includes a great description on how to make it and use it,

Hint: somewhere, long ago (I am 80) I read on this Forum about rubbing chalk on the part of the axel (that goes in the drum) before reinstalling the drum.
    Use Big sidewalk marking chalk...not grease.
    Works fine. Drum pops off with little effort using my drum remover tool.

What a great Forum!

Chief Blaze
    1955 President V8 Coupe
    1984 Avanti II

I have No idea what you read about Hub and Drum Install and Removal, but the whole point of the Shop Manual saying: "assemble it clean and DRY, is not to make it easy to remove, but to prevent the "Key" from moving TOO far Up/In the Axle Taper and damaging or Cracking the Hub after the required 150 to 170 Ft. Lbs. of Torque on the Nut.

It is "Supposed to be" Hard to remove!

I hope you will use a HUB Puller not a Drum Puller.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"chalk" this up to no one is perfect Rich. I meant hub puller of course. (3 legs to lug nuts, center threaded shaft with hammer blow attachment at the end. i have one!
      Not sure where I saw that info. about chalk? Can't find it anyway.

Comment

Chief Blaze - Your '84 Avanti is not a II.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Old trick was to use chalk on taper shank drills to prevent them from coming out of taper. Old timer showed me this 50 years ago

Comment

On John Deeres bread wrappers were used (back when they were heavier wax paper) and it worked BUT you do want it nice and snug so that the hub doesn't slip on the axle. You don't want it to snap. I had to take my 61 Hawk to work and was running late -not really unusual-- but made up time driving 80 or 85 on a back road shortcut. Came to the stopsign on US1 , saw a break, hit the gas a bang, the axle broke. Soo very glad it didn't let go at 80mph. I was late--again--but had a pretty good excuse.

Comment

Working...
            X