Convenient spray can enamel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Convenient spray can enamel

I’ve always used Sherwin-Williams Automotive for paint supplies, whether here in NC or during our brief time in WA. Service and matching are excellent, and rare is the OEM outlet that will still sell to hobbyists.

I needed only small volumes for my ‘59 Lark S-F4 wheels and for a small repair to the front grille and hood (where the PO accidentally bumped into something when storing the car). Two rattle cans of their Dimension 5.0 VOC acrylic enamel would be perfect. I used the fuel door as a clean reference.

The entire car’s “Tahiti Coral”paint is 100% original, so I’m trying not to overdo the finished result, but will do the entire grille as a piece, since it was conveniently removed for my engine repaint. I may dull it down with 1200 wet to degloss if needed.

Just wanted to give folks a heads up that an alternative to quarts and gallons and hauling out the gun/pot is readily available.

Thanks for the useful tip.

I would think a rattle can would be good for the wheels. A piece as large as the front panel would work better with a gun, IMO. Please let us know what you think after doing the front panel.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Years ago, I painted the front fender and door of a Buick Wildcat with large spray cans (in my driveway). It came out good. Of course, you do have to take care and keep a constant distance when spraying.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Years ago, I painted the front fender and door of a Buick Wildcat with large spray cans (in my driveway). It came out good. Of course, you do have to take care and keep a constant distance when spraying.
        I’ll certainly keep the Forum posted once I spray the grille.

Having it off the car and able to spray it from horizontal or vertical angles will make it much easier. The bomb tip is a nice adjustable flat fan valve, so the distance and sweep I’m used to should be easy to achieve.

Comment

You can also purchase spray paint pistol grips to relieve what will eventually become index finger fatigue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1868049
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
            I’ve always used Sherwin-Williams Automotive for paint supplies, whether here in NC or during our brief time in WA. Service and matching are excellent, and rare is the OEM outlet that will still sell to hobbyists.
            Dave, who is the rare OEM outlet near G-boro that will still sell to hobbyists? You can PM me if you don't want to 'publically' post their name.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Congratulations in finding a paint vendor that wanted your business...

When I painted my Lark riviera blue decades ago, I went to a family owned paint store and they made me a dozen spray cans and a can of leftover paint, I think I paint less than $150.00.

Decades later, the owners of the paint store that I always used retired, I had to return to the big vendor in town that I avoided (I always felt they treated me like a fool because I was not an autobody professional) to inquire about more riviera blue paint.

Lets just say they did not want to or could not mix paint and fill spray cans for a home paint job. They would sell me thousands of dollars of supplies if I wanted to do a base coat/clear coat paint job. I just wanted enough paint to make my Lark one color again.

So, if you can get a paint vendor to mix up a small lot and put it in spray cans. Bravo!!
              \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
              The Replacements.

Comment

Worth keeping in mind that Martin-Senour, sold at many NAPA stores, is Sherwin-Williams with a different label. Might even have the same numbers? Our local store is set up to mix it in a spray can but couldn't figure out how so I finally stopped asking. They sell a lot of paint to backyard guys out of that store.

Comment

I am rattle can painting my GT. I bought cans from TCP Global low VOC which falls in line with painting restrictions here. I cannot use a spray gun as it's illegal in my county and the fines are very high. It takes A LOT of spray cans to paint anything on a car. So far I've painted the inside of the trunk, the top of the trunk lid and a small section of the left rear fender. I've probably used ten cans and had to go to San Jose to get some mixed up at Martin Automotive. Took about 1/2 hour for them to mix it up and put it in cans. The color is a little off from the ones from TCP, but close enough that I used the TCP for mainly the exterior and the Martin for the underside of the trunk lid and inside the trunk. I'm lousy at this, so it has mixed results for me. I think the TCP is better quality and seemed to be a "richer" color. The Martin mixed was supposedly PPG, I don't know. I'm not painting the whole car, only the parts I'm repairing, so it's going to look like a WW1 battle ship with dazzle paint when I'm done.

Name:	PA020841.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1868187

Name:	PA210843.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1868188

Comment

Automotive paint stores here in Montana will mix rattle cans for you but....wow....is it expensive. Runs about $15.00 a can the last time I had to do a touch up. Colors match well if you have the factory paint code.

Comment

$30 here in NC. The OEM books that S-W had from 1959 were on hand (KEM for the enamel, OPEX for lacquer), but they were off enough from my gas door (representing the true 61 year, air exposed, light exposed paint the car wears), that they always prefer a color match under the scope.

Few if any of the 1959 chemistries are around for S-W anymore, so even the original recipe was no use to them. The actual masses used can be seen on the labels in my pic. Tahiti Coral was only for 1959, the later Flamingo is pretty different.

Comment

A word to the wise. Painting a vertical surface like a fender or a door, using a spray can works much better then an horizontal surface. The can has to be at or near a right angle to the surface. Once that angle is altered all kinds of bad things can happen. It's especially problematic while trying to paint the roof. Of course if someone intends to use enough paint, and intends to cut and rub the color, or the clear, it will turn out better.

Comment

Hung from the wife’s garage door rail, and with its “chin” tensioned over to my MaxJax hoist, the Lark grille did get its respray of “Tahiti Coral” today. Pressure and fan were excellent on the first rattle-can, allowing the same overlap and flash I’d expect from my gun.

I’ll save the second for the wheels in the spring.

Comment

I have seen some good patch and whole car paint jobs from a can, all it takes is patients and a little know how. NCDave51 ,it looks good.

Comment

Working...
                            X