Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    My brother installed two of the 63 & later front anti-roll bars on his 57 Packard Clipper. One is stacked on top (or under as installed) of the other. A second pair of brackets were modified to accomplish this. It works quite well and is certainly CASO-compliant.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I could never find one of the OEM rear bars when I needed one, so bought 2 or 3 of Dave T-bow's. His are 3/4" diameter, instead of the OEM's 5/8". They are identical, and I doubt they interchange with any other car on the planet. For a front bar, I never bothered with other than the 63-66 V8 bar. it is 3/4", with sturdier mounts than the earlier bars. Worst example of an OEM front bar is the 56J, which used the same 5/8" bar as later 6-cylinder Studes. On the 56J, it is a joke, so I always installed the 63 and later V8 bar, which proves handling significantly. I am sure a larger bar, maybe 7/8" or 15/16" may be even better, but the 63 and later is readily available, reasonably priced, and a bolt on.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 11-26-2020, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mw2013
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    Dave Thibeault sells (or, at least used to sell) larger front and rear anti-roll bars. I assume Dave didn't have the bars made specially for Studebakers, so they are probably from some late-model American car, with custom-made brackets. If you want to source the bars yourself perhaps Dave will sell just the brackets.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• mw2013
    replied
    Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1867269 I used brackets from a 63 Lark and had to modify them a bit as well as turn them around. There is a description on Bob Johnstones site Click image for larger version Name:	PICT0027.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1867268
    beefy, looks like a chassis

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1867269 I used brackets from a 63 Lark and had to modify them a bit as well as turn them around. There is a description on Bob Johnstones site Click image for larger version  Name:	PICT0027.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1867268

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Dave Thibeault sells (or, at least used to sell) larger front and rear anti-roll bars. I assume Dave didn't have the bars made specially for Studebakers, so they are probably from some late-model American car, with custom-made brackets. If you want to source the bars yourself perhaps Dave will sell just the brackets.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
    i read1982-1992 z28 and trans am bars fit the front, who makes the brackets? all the way to 1 5/16
    I believe you would need to engineer and make your own brackets.

Leave a comment:

• mw2013
    replied
    i read1982-1992 z28 and trans am bars fit the front, who makes the brackets? all the way to 1 5/16

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Thanks. I have never seen one I don't think....but I am not that knowledgeable on these grand cars.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I'll be interested in seeing what Studebakers ever had rear sways.....Avanti maybe?
    Land Cruisers, President Classics, Super Larks, Super Hawks, and Avantis. Parts books spell it out.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    My friend is installing a GM front sway bar on his 57 Packard wagon and was asking me about a rear sway bar. He searched but couldn't find any information.
    So my question is - will rear sway bar from a 57 or other years Studebaker President fit it?
    Yes, the rear sway bars from 1953 thru 1964 (except Avanti) will fit. The only thing to watch for is the spring plates -- the '63 & '64 spring plates will have different lower shock mounting points then his '57. Also, if you get a Super Lark sway bar setup, you won't need to use the thick rectangular adapters p/n 1560747 where the sway bar mount/bushing bolts to the frame.

Your friend will be very happy with the improvement that a heavier front bar, and the addition of the rear bar, make to the car. I've installed the rear bars on all of my Studebakers (the ones that didn't have them from the factory that is). He should also consider installing a good set of gas shocks front and rear while doing all this other work.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    I'll be interested in seeing what Studebakers ever had rear sways.....Avanti maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Rear sway bar for 1957 Packard station wagon

My friend is installing a GM front sway bar on his 57 Packard wagon and was asking me about a rear sway bar. He searched but couldn't find any information.
    So my question is - will rear sway bar from a 57 or other years Studebaker President fit it?
Working...
X