Transtar info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Transtar info

Hello I'm a new member, I'm 39 years old and brought home my first Studebaker (1956 transtar 2e12-22). I need to order a few things, looking for knowledgeable vendors and have a few questions if anyone who is familiar with these trucks.

Welcome to the forum. Just ask your questions -- lots of experts here. And here are a couple of useful links:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Having a hard time figuring out what motor is in it. From what I'm reading online it should be a 224 2bl, but I have a 4bl manifold. Casting number 2e8780, did someone just put a 4bl manifold on it, that common? Are fuel pumps universal for the v8s? It's 3/4 ton and need to order brake cylinders and master, brake parts too. Any good manuals on these trucks that someone could recommend? I'd like to read up on these trucks

Comment

Appreciate the welcome and thank you for letting me join, my apologies for not acknowledging. Just excited about learning about her

Comment

Hi Scott, Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.
          Glad to have another "Youngster" with us! Not that I am one!

There are many of us us here who own these Wonderful Trucks, you are in good Company!

Parts are very much available for mostly ALL mechanical Parts, and all Standard Non-Avanti V8's do get the same Fuel Pumps, Cars and Trucks.

However, if you happen to have a Real "Carter" OEM Pump you will want to save it, as they are THE BEST and no longer available New, but can be rebuilt with a Repair Kit having a Ethanol resistant Diaphragm and other parts.

A 4 Barrel Carter WCFB Carb. and Intake was available and used on '55 Commander and President Cars and could have been Factory Ordered, Dealer Installed or owner installed on a 224.

Here is the Link to our V8 Engine I.D. and Yes, you do have and or Originally did have, a correct 1955 224 short stroke, Truck V8.
          The reason I said "DID Have", is after 64 Years who knows what is INSIDE that Block, on the Outside, they are all the same: 224, 259 and 289.

2E8780 is not a "Casting Number" there is one on the passenger side that would be the same on all blocks in that year range, this # is your actual One ONLY, Engine SERIAL Number specific to THIS Truck.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

If you start Browsing around from the Home Page, you will find MANY interesting links on this Website, this one came from the "Resources" Link, and then "Tech. Tips Specs and Data", then "Updated Studebaker V8 Engine Identification".
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Carter Fuel Pump V-8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	1855418 The Original OEM Carter Fuel pumps can be distinguished by their stamped steel "U" Channel actuating Lever and the Fuel Filter on the bottom. Later year Pumps have Metal Filter Bowls, not Glass as this one.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2020, 03:41 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Suggest you obtain two manuals: the 49-56 truck parts book, and any of the truck shop manuals that start with 2E (1956). Studebaker issued a new shop manual in 1956, and then updated it annually thereafter. Any of those would cover your truck. Both the parts book and the 56-64 shop manual are available as reprints and on CD, and used originals are always coming up for sale on ebay. In many ways, the parts book can be more useful than the shop manual, as it contains exploded views of every assembly on your truck, and also will show what parts interchange with other models. We are fortunate to have a wide variety of well-qualified vendors selling both original and reproduction parts. You may be tempted to try to save money by ordering from Rock Auto or other commercial auto parts store. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. When those companies digitized their parts catalogs 20+ years ago, they often consolidated listings that didn't fit all the models listed. So be aware that you might end up with the wrong part and will have to return it. The vendors listed in the link above will send you the right stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...fits&_sticky=1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...er+shop+manual
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Really appreciate the responses. I restored my 51 Willy's cj3a and just sold my 63 dodge m37 power wagon, so this one is next. I'm definitely looking into the those hardcopy manuals online, prefer the books over the online stuff. Doesn't look like my pump is a Carter, does anyone have one they'd sell. Other casting number i have Located front top passenger side is #535691

Comment

I am sure that is a Very Vintage AC Replacement Fuel Pump from the 1960's or early 70's, there should be a Kit for it as well that would make it better than the NEW Airtex Copy of that same AC (GM) Design.

It does have a Filter on the bottom unlike the New Airtex Copies.

Yes that IS the Engine Block Casting Number, as I said they are all the SAME, 224, 259 & 289! Also the Intake, Exhaust Manifolds, Heads, everything except the Valve Cover Decals.
                This indicates what we already know it is, a 1955 to about 1958 Block.

What makes the difference are the Pistons and Crank.

The Pistons are the same bore size, Flat Top in the 224 and the 259 but they have different Wrist Pin Locations and Crankshafts.
                The 289 has still different Pistons, Dish Top Type, different Wrist Pin Location and a Longer Stroke Crankshaft than the 224 or the 259, but STILL the same 3 9/16 Bore.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2020, 08:35 PM.
                StudeRich

Comment

One more thought I forgot to include in my post above. There is another reason to buy an original truck parts book. In contrast to some other companies (eg, GM) Studebaker very rarely superseded or consolidated part numbers, so nearly all part numbers remained valid for decades. As a result, most Stude parts vendors, and most of us, use the original Stude part numbers to buy, sell, and trade factory parts. So you need a copy of the correct parts book to know how to identify stuff.

There is another site devoted exclusively to Stude trucks. There are some people who only post there. Might be worth a look.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/studebakertrucktalk/

Good luck with your truck. Looks like a nice project.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Appreciate it! Bought a dealer service manual hardcopy today, still need to buy a parts book. Started taking apart the fuel pump, thinking it'll clean up. Just need to find a rebuild kit

Comment

Here is the Link to Then and Now Automotive who makes the Fuel Pump Repair Kits:
                      https://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pump-repair-kits/

They usually need the Number from a Tag on the Pump or the Edge of the Mounting Flange is sometimes stamped.

That baby is going to take some real work to get clean, if it EVER does!

These Aluminum Parts can't remain in the stronger cleaners like Carb. Dip very long or they will be damaged badly.
                      I have never seen one that clogged up, there sure was No Chance of that ever working! It must have been parked for 40 Years.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Appreciate it! Found a carter m2211 at summit racing i might go with, am I wrong on the part number on the pump?

Comment

It is the correct number, but just an Airtex sold by Carter, not a genuine Carter Mfg. Pump.
                          It WILL work, until it doesn't.
                          StudeRich

Comment

Gotcha, appreciate it

Comment

Definitely see the difference everyone was talking about, got one of the knock offs for now until I can get the other one cleaned up and rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X