fuel sender screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: fuel sender screws

1962 Lark wagon. Before I cause any damage, does anyone know what size the screw heads are to retain the fuel sending unit? I can't get any socket to fit properly, combination of rust and crud. The heads look sound enough, but just won't take a socket and I really don't want to drop the tank.
    Thanks
    Warren

The screws are No. 10x5/8 and Studebaker #G145195
    The special washer beneath them are Studebaker #187763
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The head size is 5/16. An 8mm will fit just fine too. The washers originally were soft copper over asbestos. Plain copper will work fine too. I usually make sure they are dead soft by annealing them. Heat them red hot, and let them cool slowly, and they will be soft.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have removed quite a few Original Fuel Sending Units, and have NEVER found one that did not have Standard, straight slotted Screwdriver type Screw Heads.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I guess you NEVER worked on an Avanti?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948

Comment

There are absolutely no slots in these screws. Thanks for the input.
            Warren

Comment

This tank is off a 63 lark and the screw heads are slots the heads may be 5/16 but they are round. An Avanti may be 5/16 but the PO is addressing a 62 Lark.

Comment

Well, I couldn't get the screws loose so I dropped the tank. Just as well, I am sending the rad out for boiling and pressure testing and I realized I had better send the tank as well. The same place refurbishes gas tanks as well as rads. After 58 years it was looking pretty kruddy and I am installing a new sender. Now, My apologies to Studrich, they were screws, but with phillip heads that were so filled with rust that there was no indication. I did loosen each of the five screws with a pair of vise grips and after I got one out, I started poking at it with an awl and found the indication of the X.
                Thanks again guys
                Warren

ps: the picture of that incredibly clean tank got me motivated to dig a little further

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  I guess you NEVER worked on an Avanti?
                  Of course not, the Car in question is a '62 Lark. My Avanti has no Fuel Sender issues, Yet!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When the original OP said he couldn't find a SOCKET to fit, that is why I assumed it was the hex type. silly me.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

Sorry for the mis-information. I really couldn't see any screw slots and the heads were so rusty I wasn't sure that they weren't hex head. I'm glad I removed the tank. New engine and new carb, I don't want crap issues in the fuel line. I do appreciate all the help I have received here. I have been doing this for sixty years , but sometimes things just don't add up for me and I find it is better to ask.

Warren

Comment

On a past recommendation on this site I purchased a pack of ten Pressure-Sealing Washers direct from McMaster-Carr. Part # was 93781A011. They now come in packs of five for $9.68 They have Buna-N seals within the washer for a better seal, though I still needed to used a Permatex type sealer too.

Comment

I am struggling between competing problems..... 1) leaking screws, versus 2) poor grounding of the sending unit. The original crushable copper washers provided both solutions, a great method to seal the heads of the screws while providing conductivity for an electrical ground. But those asbestos filled copper washers are no longer available, so I am thrilled to find the recommendation by "phwold" for the products made by McMaster-Carr. I just ordered a few packages. Now I have my fingers crossed that my sending won't leak, and that the recently installed NOS sending unit will give me an accurate read (oh all right, a reasonable estimation). That would beat the heck out of carrying a spare gas can in the trunk.....

Comment

You can put a connector/lug under a screw head and wire that to a good ground on the car's frame.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X