61 Hawk wiring route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 61 Hawk wiring route

Hello, has anyone got a wiring route layout for a 61 Hawk, doesn’t seem to be in the manual, all my wiring was removed from P.O., regards Cus
    sigpic

Hi Cus. Schematics should be in the Chassis Parts Catalog.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Depending if you are looking for the Actual "Routing" of the wires OR the Connection Points, Wire Colors, Terminal Numbers etc. which are as Howard says in the '59-'64 Studebaker Shop Manual.

They are in Group ONE at the back, it's Pg. 164 of the PDF File in the CD Version, Pg. 3 of Wiring Diagrams for the "C" Model.

The Routing should be pretty easy, once the wires are on the correct termination points, they will fall into place.

Here is a '61 Wiring Diagram On Line:
      https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...61-v8-wire.jpg
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-29-2019, 06:00 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
        I have all the wiring diagrams.
        All the wiring was stripped out of the car by PO.
        I've connected all the dash etc., & have a pretty good idea of the layout under the hood,
        my main concern is the tail light section, does it travel down the left or right side of the floor,
        & where does it exit the body to run under the trunk & run along the rear base of the trunk,
        I can see it has a rubber grommet attached for where it passes through a hole, but don't know
        which hole etc.

regards, Cus
        sigpic

Comment

If it's the same as the previous C/K bodies the rear harness runs through the inside of the left frame channel. There should be clips to hold it in place, alongside or in conjunction with the rear brake line.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

In 1960 the Larks were switched from the Tail Light Harness being on the Frame, to the Left Floor, I am pretty sure that Hawks are the same.

Along the floor just inside of the Sill Plate under the carpet, over the rear wheelwell and along the UPPER Left Trunk Wall where it exits through the Floor to the Left Tail Light. There should be a few Clips along the Trunk wall for support.

Don't forget to route the Red wire down to the Fuel Sending Unit.
            Near the Left Trunk Hinge, there should be a short pigtail with a Female connector for the rarely equipped Automatic Trunk Light.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On my '62 the fuel sender wire is in the tail lamp harness and exits it near the license plate after going through the trunk floor. There's about a 2ft wire that runs across the top of the tank from the sender to where it plugs into the harness behind the bumper. The trunk lamp wire is near the left trunk lid hinge though.

Comment

Just a thought: if your Hawk was built with RHD, the wiring harness was different -- and its routing might be different, too. On the RHD trucks, the tail lamp harness went down the right side instead of the left.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I think it may depend on where the car was built. I was at a Stude. zone meet in Custer,S.D. a couple of years ago, There was 2 '61's parked near each other. The routing and locations of electrical parts (voltage reg., horn relay and even the coil and light terminal strip) were all different. The wiring looked original or repo. May also have been early and late production?- Jim

Comment

On my 61 Hawk, the wiring runs down the inside of the drivers side frame channel right next to the brake line. The fuel sender wire splits off about the top of the rear axle hump. The wiring for the passenger side tail lights and the license plate lights crosses over on the back side of the rear cross member.
                    Wayne
                    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                      On my 61 Hawk, the wiring runs down the inside of the drivers side frame channel right next to the brake line. The fuel sender wire splits off about the top of the rear axle hump. The wiring for the passenger side tail lights and the license plate lights crosses over on the back side of the rear cross member.
                      Thanks for that,
                      Where about's does it exit the cabin to run down the frame, (which hole),

regards, Cus
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                        That's the way it is on our '53 too. If I recall right it exits a hole just to the left (inside) of the hood hinge. The '62 front and engine wiring exits through the same hole, even though the rear wiring runs inside the body instead of along the frame rail.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall wiring pass thru.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1815618
                        Last edited by bensherb; 01-02-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

The wiring harness on mine exits the cabin through the same hole shown in the bensherb's 53 photo.
                          Wayne
                          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                            ... it exits a hole just to the left (inside) of the hood hinge.
                            That is the main harness. As soon as it comes through the firewall, a branch of it goes straight down and connects with a plug to the separate tail light harness. I don't believe the tail light harness ever enters the cabin in these models.

Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                            X