Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GT Hawk Power Steering Control Valve can't get nut off, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: GT Hawk Power Steering Control Valve can't get nut off, help!

I, for the life of me, can't get this nut off. the bolt just spins. I have turned the wheel and it will not hold in place. I of course do not want to screw up the threads by holding it in place. Any thoughts on this? I am replacing the seals if that helps. Thank you!

The retaining pin on the other end is missing. You will have to remove the two 1/2" bolts holding the two halves together and tighten the large flange nut holding the Pittman arm ball socket seat and spring. All the way tight, and back it off enough to insert the valve bolt
    pin in the slot.

Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If the nut spins a full 360 then the pin that locks the head of the bolt from turning is missing or broken. If that is the case, then you will have to fully disassemble the unit. That is best done on the bench after removing the pitman arm. The manual covers the procedure very well.

Comment

Rats, I was hoping to not have to do that. Thanks for the advice. Nothing is ever easy huh?

Comment

I have looked everywhere for my manual but can't locate it. I guess that's what happens when you have to deploy and move all the time. I blame the Navy.

Comment

Found a way easier way to get that off, just put a slot for a flat head in the end of the bolt. Not sure why they didn't do that in the first place but it worked like a charm. Everything is reassembled with no leaks and ready to roll. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by kpayne9449 View Post
              Found a way easier way to get that off, just put a slot for a flat head in the end of the bolt. Not sure why they didn't do that in the first place but it worked like a charm. Everything is reassembled with no leaks and ready to roll. Thanks for the help everyone.
              That's great, but if you ever have the car judged, you will lose points for that. LOL

Comment

Definitely not a show car but I love her all the same haha!

Comment

Just so you know... the pin that holds the spool valve bolt from turning, also holds the nut of the pitman arm ball socket in place. Without it the nut can back out and the whole valve can then fall off the pitman arm ball.

Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

That's just what I was wondering . The pin must be there for a purpose.

Comment

Working...
                    X